Ice Link Plus - Page 66 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Interior & ICE > First Generation Interior & Ice

First Generation Interior & Ice
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
First generation MINI interior 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to Wiring Diagrams R53 Cooper S? RachyS Maintenance & MINI Care 2 Mar 18th, 2013 11:36 PM
Ice Fitting rosslamb First Generation Interior & Ice 6 Feb 14th, 2013 01:59 AM
Special offer Mini Ice Cube Tray chris@LloydBlackpool Lloyd Blackpool MINI 0 Nov 23rd, 2012 11:36 AM

LinkBack (7) Thread Tools Rate Thread
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #976 (permalink)  
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:38 PM
United States View LagunaSol's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by brett
no that doesn't happen either, I can change the albums well the first five by pressing the 1,2,3,4,5 buttons sometimes the skip buttons work. but pressing six the display says Disc Check on the cd player then nothing. its a Ovt 04 build HK

any ideas??

Brett, post #19 here will answer your question.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ad.php?t=42493
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 04:36 AM
MINI2 Regular

United States View LagunaSol's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile
Ah, what the heck, I went ahead and installed the beta firmware. And......it actually works! Feb. 05 build, H/K audio.

Old May 5th, 2005, 05:15 AM
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Australia View brett's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Just Updated It And The Number 6 Won't Bring Up My Menu And The Skip Button Won't Work. Any Ideas??

I CAN SELECT MY PLAYLISTS PRESSING 1 2 3 4 5 BUT WHEN I PRESS 6 THE 6 APPEARS ON MY SCREEN OF THE CD PLAYER SAY'S DISC CHECK BUT CAN'T BRING UP THE MENU. OR ICE LINK MENU. ANY IDEAS??

1968 Mk1 Morris Cooper S 1310cc Downton Lake Green - White
1974 Leyland Mini 1098c Country Cream
2008 MINI Cooper S Chilli Pepper White - Black Roof
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM
geek girl

Local Time: 10:38 PM
United Kingdom
I've been having an issue with the 6 button not working on v.2.06. I switched over to the iPod UI mode and tried to switch back to the Ice Link mode, but pressing 6 did nothing. Anyone else?

I finally had to reset it by unplugging the wafer. Now my nokia bluetooth ck-7w kit won't work. When I try to re-pair the device, it says it can't make the connection. Any ideas why unplugging the IceLink wafer would cause my car kit to go wonky?
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:00 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 10:38 PM
United Kingdom View MCBert's Hyper Blue & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by MCBert
Anyway, the crux is that everything works just fine - iPod hidden away nicely, ID3 text display on the head unit and no interference with the Nav unit. It's also really nice to be able to choose by Artist, Album and playlist via the head unit menus - something i couldn't do easily with v2.06.

I must take this back.

This morning, I started the car only to find that the Nav screen is now showing some text aswell as the head unit. It appears that the IceLink is emulating a telephone, as the Nav screen now shows a "speed dial" screen which covers the whole screen. This screen then displays the same text as the head unit. The main menu screen also shows a telephone option. I set the unit to "No Text", but then the system literally displays "No Text" on the Nav screen. I then entered setup again, and set the text to display on the Nav screen, rather than the head unit. This is a definite improvement, as the text then only covers up the map portion of the screen, leaving the direction side visible. Still not good though. Eventually, I've just gone back to no text at all.

Anyway, I'm still happier now that the iPod is out of view in the glovebox. I can live without seeing the screen while I'm driving. I just need to set my playlists up with a bit more thought before I go out.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:27 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:38 PM
United States
Yesterday, I installed my Icelink in my 05 mcc w/ nav & boost. Worked fine (except I need to do the ground wire fix, as detailed on the North Amer Motoring thread about the icelink).
Tried updating to 2b1 today, and as it loaded files, it seemed to stall- I then tried to update the ice link using "update icelink" from the dension menu system, and it gave me an "error 14". Anyone know what that is?
Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:43 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
I just got my MCS on Sunday and I installed my IceLink Plus Tuesday night.

When updating the IceLink with 2B1, mine also froze/ stalled and then showed an error message three times. I just kept trying. On the fourth try, it worked. Not sure what I did differently. Keep trying.

Lester

Quote: Originally Posted by mclaugh
Yesterday, I installed my Icelink in my 05 mcc w/ nav & boost. Worked fine (except I need to do the ground wire fix, as detailed on the North Amer Motoring thread about the icelink).
Tried updating to 2b1 today, and as it loaded files, it seemed to stall- I then tried to update the ice link using "update icelink" from the dension menu system, and it gave me an "error 14". Anyone know what that is?
Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Lester W. Lam
USA

2005 MCS Chili Red w/ White
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:58 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
tags

i got my 05 2 weeks ago and just installed the damn link but can't get the id3 tags to work. i've updated to the 2.1b but I still don't see anything. when i select 'text selector' in the menu it tells me to look at the head unit but nothing happens. Any help would be great. i'm pretty frustrated.
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 09:38 PM
United States View jeffu's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I've got the 2.b1 version installed - works great on my 05 with text on the HU and all - love it.

I do however notice some distortion at certain frequencies - seems better when I set the voltage to 1.0 instead of 2.0 - but I've noticed that it reverts back to 2 all on it's own the next time I drive - any thoughts?

Jeff Ulrich
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM
MINI2 Regular

I had some distortion too until I turned bass booster off on the iPod. Now it sounds pretty good - although at certain frequencies at high volume the rear speakers put out a nasty buzz from all the innards of the convertible top mechanism. It was reduced somewhat by buckling the rear seat belts so the buckle wasn't vibrating against the panel. I suppose I can't expect audiophile greatness in a convertible.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:18 PM
MINI2 Regular

An update on what I've learned about the 2.b1 firmware with text. You can get to the IceLink menu on the headunit via the CD 6 button, but it offers limited options. Not the same set of options you would get under the old IceLink menu per my instruction manual. For instance, how do I set the IceLink to always play randomly? There is no such menu option that I can find. I have to use my random button on the HU, and I have to repeat that everytime I switch to a new playlist.

You also can't select the iPod UI via the HU menu. But I've found if you just disconnect the iPod, select the artist/album/whatever you want manually and plug the IceLink back in, it will continue to play whatever you've selected. As I understand the old method, per my user manual, you'd have to select iPod UI on the IceLink menu, then disconnect and reconnect the iPod anyway, so the new method actually saves you a step.

Lots of little glitches here and there...songs that start playing then skip to the next song, sporadic success with the "next song" button (sometimes one press works, sometimes it takes two, sometimes even more). Sometimes a song will play and the wrong text will display, then that song will stop playing and the correct song (as indicated by the text) will play. And what's with the "Warning" text always showing up on the HU? Annoying. Perhaps in a future firmware update they can keep the IceLink from sending that particular message to the HU.

Scrolling artists/albums/playlists on the HU is very slow as others have mentioned.

All in all I'm happy with the arrangement. Dock connector in the glovebox, completely stealth, full (well, as full as one can reasonably expect at this point) control of the iPod from the HU. And ID text on the HU to impress the friends. It could get much better, but I think it's acceptably good now.
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:53 PM
EverythingButThe Mini

United States
I called Tom at Dension the other day, and he told me that they have even seen some January 2005-build cars whose HU failed to display the text. Now I am really confused ...when the crossover from HUs that DO display text, vs. those that DON'T, actually occurred, seems to be a mystery...I have heard others say post-January 2005 are OK, but if what Tom has said is true, even that's not necessarily the case. I seemed to get the idea from him that if the HU played MP3 discs, then it's possible it would display text (mine is a November 2004 build with a HK unit, and MP3 discs are indeed playable on it).

He did tell me that a firmware version where the text is displayed (for earlier cars) is "in production"...but of course, who knows when that will be released.

I am torn whether to leap now or wait. Do any of you have a HU that plays MP3 discs yet does NOT have text display capability with the ICElink?
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:38 PM
United States
Quote: Originally Posted by lwlam
I just got my MCS on Sunday and I installed my IceLink Plus Tuesday night.

When updating the IceLink with 2B1, mine also froze/ stalled and then showed an error message three times. I just kept trying. On the fourth try, it worked. Not sure what I did differently. Keep trying.

Lester

I tried almost ten times since my post the other day, in various ways. I can't get my icelink to take the update!
I deleted the original files from my itunes (and pc). Redownloaded. Readded to itunes. Then again onto the ipod.
If I play start.mp3, it just plays. If I go manually through the menu, it starts to update, then gives me an error 14. If I manually start the update files, they just play as if normal mp3s.
My Ice Link d/l (I grab the zip each time) has 568 mp3 files, an m3u playlist, and a history txt file.
I just finished my "stealth" install of the ice link, fixing the pins to get rid of the whine, and hiding the ipod in my glove compartment.
Can anyone give me another tip to make this update take????
Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:18 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:38 PM
United States
Quote: Originally Posted by brett
Just Updated It And The Number 6 Won't Bring Up My Menu And The Skip Button Won't Work. Any Ideas??

Mine did the same thing and I have an '05 MC with a 10/04 build date. Sounds like Dension needs to get their heads out of their a$$es and figure out what the problem is. If I developed a product at my job that didn't work and sold it to a customer I'd get fired.

Maybe they need to take a road trip and fix people's problems in person. $200 is a lot to pay for something that doesn't work.
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:33 AM
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Being normal is not fun!

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Australia Male View Baker's Dark Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by mclaugh
I tried almost ten times since my post the other day, in various ways. I can't get my icelink to take the update!
I deleted the original files from my itunes (and pc). Redownloaded. Readded to itunes. Then again onto the ipod.
If I play start.mp3, it just plays. If I go manually through the menu, it starts to update, then gives me an error 14. If I manually start the update files, they just play as if normal mp3s.
My Ice Link d/l (I grab the zip each time) has 568 mp3 files, an m3u playlist, and a history txt file.
I just finished my "stealth" install of the ice link, fixing the pins to get rid of the whine, and hiding the ipod in my glove compartment.
Can anyone give me another tip to make this update take????
Thanks.

Try re-setting your iPod before doing the update by holding PLAY + MENU until it resets - you won't lose your music. I had to do this for one of the updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-interior-ice/77777-ice-link-plus.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ipod in my MiNI - Seite 7 - New Mini IG Forum Post #0 Refback Mar 23rd, 2009 08:33 PM
Ipod in my MiNI - Seite 5 - New Mini IG Forum This thread Refback Mar 23rd, 2009 08:31 PM
Bekijk topic - Ice link plus geen weergave van nummer/artiest. This thread Refback Mar 14th, 2009 02:55 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - IceLink Plus user? Want ID3 tags on HU? Read here first.. This thread Refback Feb 8th, 2009 07:10 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - IceLink Plus user? Want ID3 tags on HU? Read here first.. This thread Refback Dec 19th, 2008 04:32 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback Dec 14th, 2008 12:30 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - IceLink Plus user? Want ID3 tags on HU? Read here first.. This thread Refback Nov 27th, 2008 12:35 AM