Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
First generation MINI interior 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male View Aurel's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

Weird AUX Input problem !!!

ok, some weird thing developed literally overnight with the AUX input ... so the day i installed it (this past Friday) I was using the MP3 player no problem ... for hours ...

I come out to the car yesterday and the radio does not go into AUX mode!?!?!? ... I remove the panel and jiggle the wire and the AUX mode appears when it wants to .... but then when I press play on the MP3 player ... it kicks into FM mode !?!!?? ... and the AUX mode is gone again.

Few hours pass and I am driving ... no AUX mode. Then I try it again ... hey, there is the AUX mode again!!! Try playing the MP3 player ... soon as I hit play ... goes to FM mode.

This is really strange and not sure how the heck this happened literally overnight with the car parked.

Might be a short somewhere, at least this is what I am thinking.

Anyone experience this weird phenomenon before?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Domestic Motor Pool Chief

United States Male View Oldpaint's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

I would not just jiggle the wire but remove the whole plug from the rear of the head unit and then reattach it. Maybe its not firmly seated. If so the overnight drop in temp might be enough to break the contact. Anyway doing this doesn't cost anything so its a first step.

everything you know is wrong gnorw si wonk uoy gnihtyreve
Driven on the Arctic Ocean February 2012
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:01 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:21 PM

United States View TheOfficeMaven's Hyper Blue & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

It's a bug in the head unit I believe. It's a common problem with the AUX input (mine does it too). You need to add in a grounding loop and that will fix the problem. Here are some other threads about the problem (MINI2 & NAM):

Problem AUX on - AUX off

electronic genius needed....aux input question

Need some Aux - ground loop help

Aux keep cutting out

Aux Input installed! (pics)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United States Male View Aurel's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

Thanks for the tips so far ...

I did go ahead and buy that ground loop isolator and it did not help at all. Tried 2 different MP3 players with the cable ... some worked for a few minutes, but eventually all cut out.

I have a feeling it could be a bad cable at this point .. so i am having it exchanged from the dealer. will see if that helps.

I know for sure the MP3 player is ok ... will try the new cable ... and if that does not help ... well
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:43 PM
Goin to fast to look back

United States View harveyjoseph's Dark Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Exactly the issue that I had and the ground loop isolator solved the issue. You can get one from Radio Shack.
cheers

harveyjoseph's Webpage
JCW 210 Equipped
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyjoseph
Exactly the issue that I had and the ground loop isolator solved the issue. You can get one from Radio Shack.
cheers
like I mentioned in my previous post ... I did purchase the Ground Loop Isolator but it did not help at all.

looks like a bad wire at this point.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:10 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:21 PM

United States View TheOfficeMaven's Hyper Blue & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Hmm...

You're the first one I've heard of where the ground loop isolater didn't actually fix the problem. I too thought that I had a bad cable at first and I returned mine to the dealer. They replaced it but the new one still had the cutting out problem with the radio's Aux mode. The only way I could correct the problem was using the ground loop isolater from RadioShack.

Weird...

BTW, if I plug my MP3 player's cable into the Aux input only half way or so (to where it still gives stereo sound), that seems to correct the problem for me as well. However, I can't get it to stay like that for long as it eventually pops off.

Lastly, it seems that the problem stems from having your MP3 player plugged in. Does it still happen to you if you run it directly from the player's battery?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Quote:
Lastly, it seems that the problem stems from having your MP3 player plugged in. Does it still happen to you if you run it directly from the player's battery?
the players I have tried it with, ONLY run on battery! ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.