MINI Cooper Forum banner

Flashing light means top wont open.

53K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Mini Cooper s Andy 
#1 ·
Wah, the top on my august 2004 build cooper convertible is broken :( The light on the open button flashes constantly and it wont open at all, not even to the sunroof position. The shelf in the boot is properly secured and all the latches are closed. I took it to the body shop that did repaired my car after a small fender bender and they were stumped, had never seen anything like it. The dealership i bought it from was closed by the time I got there, so all I could do was leave a note for the service rep guy.

my friends say the problem is that I open the top everyday.. the philistines :hmph: that had damn well better NOT be the problem. Oh and this is already my 2nd top, the first was replaced after a month or so from the wear problem. New one has wear in the exact same spots plus more at the very rear corners. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
What a nightmare!

If the parcel shelf is secure in the lower position and is pressing the sensors down, there's nothing else I can think of that would stop the roof working...

Have you tried operating it by different methods (i.e. holding down the unlock button on the key, or holding up the central locking toggle switch)?

Keep us updated with any developments/fixes!

#4 ·
Try playing with the locks at the back under the cargo shelf. If that button get stuck open then it'll think you have the cargo shelf up though I wonder, would it at least allow the sunroof to open in that case?

Harry

#5 ·
I had this issue, although it occured when the roof 'unhinged'. The sun roof would open, the roof would unclip, but the roof would go no further. It would not open or close, it was only when the car was left alone for about 10 minutes that it became operational. This only happend occaisionly, and all the checks regarding the parcel shelf did not help. Reported to the dealer when the car went in for a new roof skin, they replaced the rear view mirror, saying it was a problem with the sensor ?
I have not had the roof down much since the refit (Oct 05) but it seems okay. Click the link below to see the video I supplied to the dealer to highlight the issue.
Click here to watch mini-roof

#6 ·
well, mine doesnt get that far. The sunroof wont open at all :( I'm dropping it off at the dealers afterwork today. hopefully I'll get it back in a reasonable amount of time, unlike the previous times its been in for work :(

I got it to open last night by pressing up on the interior of the roof just above the rear view mirror, but i had to close it back this morning (too cold to open motor) and it hasnt moved since. maybe it's something similiar to what you're describing afterall.

#9 ·
^^^ Heh, its BEAUTIFUL weather today.. 74F, not a cloud in the sky. The weatherman says theres a chance of rain by wed-thursday... wanna take bets on when my top will be fixed? ;) If i could bottle So-Cal weather, I'd be glad to ship you a case :D
HarryHBMCC said:
Try playing with the locks at the back under the cargo shelf. If that button get stuck open then it'll think you have the cargo shelf up though I wonder, would it at least allow the sunroof to open in that case?

Harry

if the latches arent properly fastened, then the boot wont close at all and the sunroof would atleast open.

#12 ·
Paul Mullett said:
The reason I ask is that the sensor could possibly have overheated, and it thinks the motor has overheated and is not allowing the roof to move as a "safety" measure. This was an issue with early cars but was very quickly sorted, I just wondered if it gotten extremely hot it could be that.
possible, i WAS able to open it late last night when it was cold. But it hasnt been that warm here and my mini seen much warmer climates (vegas in july. 110F, top down AC at MAX cool :cool: )

#13 ·
update: According to the mini service rep at Nick Alexander Imports, they've already replaced the sunroof portion and now they're going to replace some wiring harness somewhere. In the meantime, they've stuck me in a HyperBlue Tintop. its... ah.. different. The CVT takes some getting used to; I keep reaching for my trusty 5 speed only to find that oddly shaped gear selector thingie instead. :( The moonroof is nice though :D

#14 ·
Same similar problems

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper convertible non-s, my top will work half way. The sun roof retracts and the hooks come undone for the top to be read to retract . Instead I get the flashing read light. So I replaced the convertible top control module and the relays . Still red light. I also tryed bypassing the swith with a 12v battery straight to the motor to make sure the motor wasn't burnt up. It isn't, it works fine. Yes the parcel shelf and the locking latch for the trunk are both depressed. Any suggestions?!

#17 ·
Does yours open to the sunroof position and then the hooks unlatch but then nothing happens? If so try pushing up on the plastic bar that goes accriss the centre of the roof at the same time as pressing the opening button.
If this coaxes it into life then try getting the roof half open so its sticking up in the air, and with an artists paint brush, get some copper grease into as many of the hinges /latches you can find. We had this problem a few minths ago - been fine ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.