Mini Cooper S vs Mini Cooper S JCW - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S 2002 - 2006

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Mini Cooper S vs Mini Cooper S JCW

Hello Mini world

Just after some advice...

I really want a mini, have been looking around at mini cooper s 2002-2005 and i have seen ALOT of different variations with so many different extras on each one! Quite a mind warp!!!

A Mini Cooper S JCW caught my eye, very nice 55 plate, but it has done 69k.. which is a little high mileage than i was looking for...

I am leaning towards a JCW due to the Aero body kit, which i prefer over the plastic bumpers!

Anyways... i shall get to my point..

Performance comparison.. not BHP obviously i know the JCW is higher.. but i', talking standard driving.. city, motorway etc. Is the performance noticeable low end between the two cars?

I ask this question, because i have seen alot of cooper s' with the aero body kit and that is all. Which may save me money and i can pick up a similar age car with fewer miles and cheaper!!

Your feedback would greatly be appreciated as i'm dying to be a proud owner of a mini!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Tom
twc1001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2013, 07:24 PM
MINI2 Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Local Time: 10:56 PM
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom View AMAUTOS7's Classified Ads
 
As you going for an 1st Gen MINI

I would recommend buying an Cooper S as you will save money

R53 tuning bits are cheap now
AMAUTOS7 is offline  
Thanks for this post from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2013, 07:27 PM
MINI's are BANG TIDY
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Local Time: 10:56 PM
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
I have a MCS with aero and I love it. Eventually ill go for the jcw if I stick with the brand but you can always get a bit more grunt from a remap if the MCS doesn't cut it in terms of power but coming from and R53 will be a big change as I'm told they are very different feeling cars


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Ryanjdover is offline  
Thanks for this post from:
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:26 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Stone Age
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Posts: 2,511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twc1001 View Post
A Mini Cooper S JCW caught my eye, very nice 55 plate, but it has done 69k.. which is a little high mileage than i was looking for...
That works out to less than 10K per year ... not too bad really

Quote:
Originally Posted by twc1001 View Post
I am leaning towards a JCW due to the Aero body kit, which i prefer over the plastic bumpers!

Anyways... i shall get to my point..

Performance comparison.. not BHP obviously i know the JCW is higher.. but i', talking standard driving.. city, motorway etc. Is the performance noticeable low end between the two cars?

I ask this question, because i have seen alot of cooper s' with the aero body kit and that is all. Which may save me money and i can pick up a similar age car with fewer miles and cheaper!!
Buying a JCW DOES NOT guarantee that it will have an Aero Kit, as this was a separate dealer fit package. A JCW refers to a Cooper S with an Engine Tuning Kit. This kit didn't become a factory option until November 2006. The JCW factory option also included JCW Sport Brakes in most markets. There were also two horsepower levels for JCW Kits ... 200 bhp and 210 bhp. The JCW Kit on the car you're considering would most likely be the dealer fit 210 bhp version.

You're probably better off buying a normal Cooper S with an Aero Kit. The cost of fitting a reduction supercharger pulley for "JCW like" performance is cheaper than paying the premium for a car with the JCW Kit.
Caveman is offline  
Thanks for this post from:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Thanks for the feedback! The car in question definitely does have an Aero body kit...

pic .... h t t p : / / i47.tinypic.com/2v8helk.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjdover View Post
I have a MCS with aero and I love it. Eventually ill go for the jcw if I stick with the brand but you can always get a bit more grunt from a remap if the MCS doesn't cut it in terms of power but coming from and R53 will be a big change as I'm told they are very different feeling cars
I'm tempted, but i have heard stories of people buying a standard MCS and modifying it then it breaking because you are putting strain on the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
That works out to less than 10K per year ... not too bad really


Buying a JCW DOES NOT guarantee that it will have an Aero Kit, as this was a separate dealer fit package. A JCW refers to a Cooper S with an Engine Tuning Kit. This kit didn't become a factory option until November 2006. The JCW factory option also included JCW Sport Brakes in most markets. There were also two horsepower levels for JCW Kits ... 200 bhp and 210 bhp. The JCW Kit on the car you're considering would most likely be the dealer fit 210 bhp version.

You're probably better off buying a normal Cooper S with an Aero Kit. The cost of fitting a reduction supercharger pulley for "JCW like" performance is cheaper than paying the premium for a car with the JCW Kit.
Since posting this topic, i have found MCS's with the aero kit and some JCW parts like the JCW Air Intake and JCW Rear Exhaust Silencer, which the buyer has quoted will increase bhp slightly?

How much are we talking for the reduction supercharger pulley?

Thanks
twc1001 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:25 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Stone Age
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Posts: 2,511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twc1001 View Post
Since posting this topic, i have found MCS's with the aero kit and some JCW parts like the JCW Air Intake and JCW Rear Exhaust Silencer, which the buyer has quoted will increase bhp slightly?

How much are we talking for the reduction supercharger pulley?
Air Intakes and exhausts offer marginal gains. Biggest "bang for the buck" is fitting a reduction pulley, appropriate supercharger belt and colder spark plugs. For pricing check one of the site's Sponsors ...

1320MINI - MINI Cooper S R53 Stage One Tuning Package
Caveman is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2013, 10:11 PM
MINI2 Master
 
beken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delta, BC, Canada
Local Time: 02:56 PM
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada Male View beken's Black-Eye Purple & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
 
The JCW suspension also lowers the car 1/2" over the Sport Suspension + on the Cooper S.

05MCS BEP Alta 22mm rear anti-swaybar, Madness CAI, Alta 15%, NGK BRK7EIX, M7 Strut Tower Reinforcement plates, BSH Lower Engine Mount
beken is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Stone Age
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Posts: 2,511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beken View Post
The JCW suspension also lowers the car 1/2" over the Sport Suspension + on the Cooper S.
10mm to be exact

Like the Aero Kit this suspension was a dealer fit accessory.
Caveman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome