power steering woes this car is trying to kill me HELP - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Cooper S > First Generation MINI Cooper S

First Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S 2002 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:20 PM
United Kingdom
Unhappy power steering woes this car is trying to kill me HELP

So a month ago my steering on my2003 R53 started going heavy sometimes, after a while it was happening alot. So last week i dropped it in the garage for repair. They tell me the pump needs replacing which i suspected. They then call and say there was an electrical faukt in the wiring that caused it to fail. they say there seem to be 2 faults,one they have found and the other they are looking for. so they call mini uk who give them a wiring diagram and at the end of the week they call to say car is done, pump has been replaced and they are just topping up the power steering fluid.

Today i picked car up and went to see my mum 10 miles away. had lunch and then drove back via central london to pick some bits up. everything was fine until i come back to my car after shopping for 2 hours and then start driving home. Steering goes heavy for a second...uh oh maybe it was a glitch and then on the a4 changing lanes it dies again and almost causes an accident from there until home its cutting in and out. even at the lights as i turn the wheel a little it goes heavy..

So pump replaced whats going on guys!!?? Just been relieved of 550 quid today for a car that is now acting the same as before i took it in!!!!

Please help

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:56 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Just an additional note guys as it may be relevant. before my original pump died my radiator fan packed up and the car started overheating, well the resistor or something(to switch it between high and low). my old garage said it had dies as the relay was located inside the fan and was to switch between high and low modes.

ANYWAY to remedy this they instead mounted a new resistor in the engine bay, on the chassis with a wire going into the radiator fan and this fixed my overheating problem. However i think this is something to do with the problems im now having with the pump but god nows how to it can be fixed!!!!!!????
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 10:20 PM
United Kingdom Male
Some of this info may help:
Power Steering Pump replacement - Forums
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
thanks for that mate ive just been reading through it but there are a myriad of possibilities in there im hoping that someone might have a more specific idea on the cause due to the relocation of the radiator fan speed resistor that i mentioned and what the garage should be looking for.

cheers
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 04:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Thumbs down Expert advice needed

Chaps,

I really need someone's help on this...the car has been in the garage now for 2 weeks and hey are struggling.

They've read everythin in the power steering advice link that is on this site...they've checked all the relays and fuses mentioned. They've taken electrical readings of the PS system and all are normal. 4 pumps they have tried...all worked outside the car but once in they fail.

SO...it brings me back to the original suspicion. My old mechanic relocated the radiator fan speed selector relay thing from INSIDE the radiator fan housing to inside the engine bay stuck to the chassis, as this thing is a known problem when the fan stops cutting in when you are in traffic and the car was overheating until this was done... The relay used was just a 3rd party thing of the same specification as the one inside the radiator fan and it never killed the pump instantly.

My question is...are the 2 things linked? If so how? What shoudl these guys be checking for as this is becoming an proper nightmare

Please help.

Cheers
Adam
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 05:09 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
This happened to mine and after being Mis-diagnosed 3 times it turned out being the power steering pump FAN costing me 280 or something like that plus the auto electrican cost of 150 but my car has been fine ever since . I've got a 52 plate cooper S ,Apparently the fan just seizes up . Don't know if that'll help you but you never know
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 06:53 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 10:20 PM
United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Lono9885 (original)
Chaps,

I really need someone's help on this...the car has been in the garage now for 2 weeks and hey are struggling.

Please help.

Cheers
Adam

Is it a MINI Dealer garage? Alhough a lot more expensive than the usual side street ones it might have paid you to go to one to start with and get it sorted straight the way?
I cant see a MINI dealer struggling for 2 weeks, if so report it to BMW.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:43 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by The Nun (original)
Is it a MINI Dealer garage? Alhough a lot more expensive than the usual side street ones it might have paid you to go to one to start with and get it sorted straight the way?
I cant see a MINI dealer struggling for 2 weeks, if so report it to BMW.

mate its not a dealer no and you are probably right but at the end of the day how many people with a 100k plus car are going to take it to the dealer. I had a nissan skyline gtr and an m5 before this and they sorted those ok.I will never own another mini after this im going back to an m5 this car is as reliable as a chocolate fireguard and built so very badly its not even funny
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by logan_manc (original)
This happened to mine and after being Mis-diagnosed 3 times it turned out being the power steering pump FAN costing me 280 or something like that plus the auto electrican cost of 150 but my car has been fine ever since . I've got a 52 plate cooper S ,Apparently the fan just seizes up . Don't know if that'll help you but you never know

Cheers Logan mate to be honest i dont think its that. Even if it was the fan the pump would at least work for a while not act faulty as soon as you plug it in. The fan only kicks in when it gets hot anyway doesnt it.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Lono9885 (original)
Cheers Logan mate to be honest i dont think its that. Even if it was the fan the pump would at least work for a while not act faulty as soon as you plug it in. The fan only kicks in when it gets hot anyway doesnt it.

Couldn't tell you mate all I know is my car got heavy and starts to over heat an it ended up being that problem, I'll never own another mini after this one neither but luckely it's not my daily driver . Think I'll stick with my R32 from how on haha. Anyways hope you get it sorted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement