GTT Tuning - GTT220 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Cooper S > First Generation MINI Cooper S

First Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S 2002 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi from 2003, Cooper S GTT 220 conversion Newbie! GAJA71 Welcome New Members 6 Dec 7th, 2013 07:29 AM
Tuning set-up Opinions wanted Jonas-MCS-2005 First Generation MINI Tuning 4 Dec 6th, 2013 11:57 AM
Any experience with tuning chips? MiniDeLux MINI Cooper Diesel 8 Mar 3rd, 2013 08:31 AM
MCS JCW 03, need to find tuning kit history! Nickyp First Generation Works 8 Sep 19th, 2012 02:54 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 07:38 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:33 AM
United Kingdom
GTT Tuning - GTT220

Hi all

I'm buying myself a MCS in January as a birthday treat..

I'd be looking to get it upgraded. Read a few reviews on here regarding GTT Tuning (Roland) and it's very positive.

I've also seen some really negative comments on other forums too.

This MINI will mean a lot to me (and a lot of ) so I'd want to make sure it's done properly.

I'd opt for the 220 kit, just under a grand, I wouldn't want to spend anymore.

Can anyone give me a quick overview of GTT, the reliability and workmanship and also the GTT220 kit itself?

Sorry if I haven't 'searched' the forum - I actually have, but the recent reviews are many years back and I'd like to have direct feedback if poss!

Thanks

Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
SUPERcharged

Local Time: 10:33 AM
England Male View tom2005's Classified Ads
I'd be interested to hear too. I've heard mixed reviews on GTT upgrades. A few saying that when on a rolling road they weren't getting near the stated 220, for example.

I'm starting to think I'll go down this route:
KMT 17% pulley, NGK plugs, Milltek cat back exhaust, Alta CAI and GRS intercooler.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 07:34 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Yeah - I've seen a few different tuning companies such as BBR, P-Torque, 1320 etc..

Not sure who I'd go with.

I've emailed them about their packages and got no response... great customer service.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 08:21 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Australia Male
Yep same here. I emailed GTT a few months back asking for a quote to ship parts to me here in Oz and got no response either. :-(

Very disappointing as I thought GTT appeared to be a reputable & professional company. I'd gone to some effort to be specific about what I wanted them to quote me for.

I'm going to try again emailing them again in early new year. I might also try a long distance phone call as a followup - hopefully once they realise they've got a serious potential customer on the line, they will then engage with me and respond to my queries. Shouldn't be this hard though....
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 09:13 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I'm not sure why they won't reply.

When I buy my S, I WILL be adding a performance package, but I guess not from any of the above if their customer service is this poor.

Why put customers off? It's not petty money, it's a substantial amount of cash to both the customer and the garage. It put's me off to think that they, in a way, don't care.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 10:24 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Australia Male
Quote: Originally Posted by GuyKitch (original)
I'm not sure why they won't reply.

When I buy my S, I WILL be adding a performance package, but I guess not from any of the above if their customer service is this poor.

Why put customers off? It's not petty money, it's a substantial amount of cash to both the customer and the garage. It put's me off to think that they, in a way, don't care.

Yes - totally agree. The upgrades I was wanting them to quote was potentially worth thousands of $ of sales to GTT - yet not even a reply to my email. (I hope someone from GTT is reading this post and take note).

Can only assume either they are not checking their emails as they should, or maybe they are just doing too incredibly well in their local market to bother answering queries from overseas customers such as myself.

However I'm not convinced yet to give up on GTT - so as I mentioned earlier, I'll save up a bit more then try to contact them again in the New Year and see how we go. Fingers are now crossed.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 10:47 AM
SUPERcharged

Local Time: 10:33 AM
England Male View tom2005's Classified Ads
I've heard back from GTT and 1320, so personally I can't fault their email replies. Hope you get a response soon.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Just had a response from 1320, I mentioned the GTT220 kit to them.
They suggested starting off with a Pulley mod and go from there.

They wanted to know what GTT offer in their 220 kit (I'd thought they'd know the competiton!) so I told them... asked them what they can offer for a similar price.

1320 are only 40 mins away from me so not too bad. Their packages on their site (well, they only have 3) are pretty minor so hopefully they can cook me up something unique.

Guy
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 04:37 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
If you are planning to buy a Gen 1 R53 S in the New Year you should also speak to Tony Franks at MINI Motorsport Centre (Ex John Cooper Garages Chief Engineer) as he probably knows more about tuning the original MCS engine than anyone else. He was involved in the original development of the Works conversions as well as the preparation of the Challenge Cup racing engines.

I own a R53 S with the 225bhp works conversion which was developed as the replacement for the next generation Works conversion (to replace the 210bhp) but which never went into mass production before BMW changed to the turbo engine.

Tony advised me that 225bhp was about the max output that they could achieve whilst retaining the reliability of the engine under the normal BMW warranty. More power from the supercharged engine was possible (for racing engines) but reliability couldn't be guaranteed. I believe the all out max power achieved was around 280bhp.

Also, you need to seriously consider up-grading the front brakes especially if you are going to make full use of the added power.

My car has Challenge Cup spec. bigger discs and 6 pot calipers whicch makes a huge difference to the stopping power. But be carefull about which brake upgrade you go for.....mine (which are basically motorsport spec) cost a small fortune (400) to replace the discs and pads as part of the routine servicing!

Spike
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 07:13 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I've read about - I'm guessing he charges an arm and a leg?
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 08:31 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Tony Franks (Mini Motorsport Centre) hourly labour rate is very reasonable (about 45 an hour) and way less than BMW.

I take my car there because he basically built it for one of its previous owners as a track day motor. My car was orginally upgraded to the Works 201bhp version by a BMW main dealer who fitted the kit. It was then taken to John Cooper Garages for the 225bhp upgrade. This conversion is pretty rare (less than 50 examples) because they sold it to the general public only to use up the remaining cylinderheads left over from the BMW engine development programme. I believe the engine mods alone cost 5k so they didn't sell too many!

His workshop looks pretty good and he has direct access to an MOT test centre who share the site with him.

His workshop is 3 minutes walk from the train station and just a short train journey away from Brighton. I now take my car there for all servicing etc and spend the day in Brighton until Tony rings me to say the car is ready for collection.

As I said in a previous post, I don't believe anyone else in UK knows more about tuning and modifying the supercharged engine than he does.

Spike
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 10:33 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I'm unsure where to go. GT Tuning haven't got back to me. Contacted them LAST WEEK. Afraid that customer service so poor has really put me off them.

1320 - still waiting for another response. Did reply originally though.

All I'm looking is for 220-230bhp and I'm unsure where/who to go with for the best price yet not compromising quality.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
JCW 250

United Kingdom Male View Keano's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Keano's Classified Ads
Go to 1320 - no question. Ive been taking my cars there for years - they know what they are doing and seeing as how they are close to you, I don't know why you're considering going elsewhere....

I used to make the trip to 1320 from Ipswich pretty often and the trip is worth it - Im going there this week and I don't even have a mini at the moment.. ::

Call them and have a chat, then if you want more I would call in and have a chat with them about your needs and they will be able to help you spend your money wisely.

Its not about tuning kits really, its about custom tuning - so that's picking and chosing mods based on your driving needs - for example a track day car would have a different set of mods to a fast daily... chat it over with them in person/over the phone and Im certain they will be able to put together a 'package' that you would be happy with...

I think the GTT kits are waay way over priced - if you look at what you're getting vs. what you actually need then most of it isn't even needed...

I got my JCW 210 to 250 bhp with: ITG filter, janspeed manifold, ATI +1% CP, newman camshaft, JCW GP intercooler and a simple tune. All in that was under 2k with everything being bought brand new and including labour. For a standard S would would only need to add injectors and a 15% pulley to get roughly the same output...

Standard S to ~230bhp would need roughly: 15%/17% pulley (depending on driving style), GP/GRS intercooler, (4-2-1 would be my preference) exhaust manifold, dave.f intake, jcw injectors and a tune say.

Running 211whp

Thanks for this post from:
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM
JCW 250

United Kingdom Male View Keano's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Keano's Classified Ads
Just to add on the customer service point, its only a week and you don't even own the car yet.... I wouldn't judge them just yet...

Running 211whp

Old Dec 11th, 2013, 01:21 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I never stated that I didn't own the car... :-)

Thanks for the comments though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement