MINI Cooper Forum banner

My 2004 Cooper S

15K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  C00P3R2011 
#1 ·
Hello people,

Just bought my second Mini today after owning a regular 2003 Cooper, I have upgraded to a 2004 Cooper S.
I wanted a 2006 JCW, but all the ones I looked at were high mileage and a bit tatty.

The one I bought has just 38k on the clock with full BMW service history and although it's a 10 year old car it looks and drives like it's brand new.

My plans are to get the interior chrome pack.
The Evo 2 Software update from BBR - BBR.-GTi - The Conversions - Mini
Change the front grill to all black mesh JCW version.

Change the headunit for one with USB, MP3 & Bluetooth handsfree.

Would also love to update the SatNav as per this one
Not sure how this can be done? Any help would be much appreciated.

See less See more
1 2
#33 ·
hi guys ive just had cooper s just started dressing the engine bay the intercooler looks like it could with spraying silver or buying a new one sum one told me to have a larger intercooler they are the same price as the standard ones I don't now this but If i did buy a bigger intercooler will it be better for the car or shall I just buy a standard intercooler and how much are they thanks pete

#35 ·
Got my Service II inspection service done today by BMW for £299.

They gave me some advisory warning which I want to get sorted asap, but not through BMW as they're quoting me around £1,400 to do it all.

Rear washer jet needs replacing. They're quoting £195.
I could get a part off ebay for £20 and fit myself.
Had the same problem on my last one and think it's just a bad design. If anyone knows of a better solution to stop the jet from getting blocked, please let me know.

Both front control arm bushes are split. BMW quoting me £799, but I would prefer to upgrade these the PowerFlex or similar ones that will last longer and supposedly offer better performance.
Does anyone know the correct part number/kit I'd need?
What about this? Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes

Rocker cover gasket leak and engine sump leak. BMW quoting £480.
Might be a stupid question, but is the OEM gasket the best option?
Would you get this done by an independent garage or is it best to go for BMW on this?

While this work is being done, are there any other bushes that can or should be upgraded to PowerFlex ones?

Also the 6pot GP calipres I got, don't fit with my wheels, so not yet had them put on. Considering selling them or changing my wheels in the summer.

#37 ·
#49 ·
So, got my new clutch fitted today.

Thought I'd try out a new garage for this, so used fixmycar.com and got a load of quotes ranging from £300 to £752.

In the end I went with this company http://www.gmlautomechanic.co.uk/ as they had the most and best reviews.

They charged me £440 including VAT and used a LUK clutch kit and it turned out my Clutch Slave Cylinder (Brand = FTE) was leaking (rubber had split) and was replaced at no extra charge.
Service was really good. In fact the best I've had from any garage.
Kept me updated throughout, lent me a courtesy car. And gave me my old failed parts back in the packaging from the new parts. Which is how I know what brands they used.

Only thing is my clutch is now really soft with a low biting point. It's actually easier/nicer to drive now. I was used to a very stiff peddle with a high biting point which I didn't like much, but my last MINI was the same, so I had gotten used to it.

Only driven it 4 miles since I got it back tonight, so not had a chance to really test everything out.

Should I be worried the clutch is soft? Had a search on here, but can't really tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.