MINI Cooper Forum banner

2006 R52 ? Engine died twice in heavy traffic and high heat outside, 6 months apart.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Johncookeville 
#1 · (Edited)
2006 R52 – Engine died twice in heavy traffic and high heat outside, 6 months apart.

Hi all, avid reader, but first time poster. I’m trying to troubleshoot my GF’s Mini and all help is much appreciated.

Car: 2006 Mini Cooper S w/98k,

Long story short, the mini has died while driving twice in the same condition: heavy traffic, less than 5MPH, high heat outside 95 F plus.

After it dies, GF places car in park and cycles the key, and the car restarts without a problem….

I get no codes and can’t simulate the problem. That being said, it makes me uncomfortable safety wise to have the car die, say at speed. I think we’ve been lucky.

So far, I’ve heard the main fuse may overheat and cut out, thus taking power away from the fuel pump. No fuel, therefore, engine dies.

That said, the engine itself runs absolutely great. NO OVERHEATING OF THE COOLING SYSTEM WHATSOEVER. I don’t suspect spark plugs, ect…

Anyone see or hear similar?

THANKS ALL!

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless this becomes a regular issue or throws codes, not much can be done. Six months apart is a long time, everyday or more would be a little closer to diagnosing. Mine reacted to 95 F heat in traffic in Memphis 4 yrs. ago, but no problems since.

#3 ·
2006 R52 – Engine died twice in heavy traffic and high heat outside, 6 months apart.

Hi all, avid reader, but first time poster. I’m trying to troubleshoot my GF’s Mini and all help is much appreciated.

Car: 2006 Mini Cooper S w/98k,

Long story short, the mini has died while driving twice in the same condition: heavy traffic, less than 5MPH, high heat outside 95 F plus.

After it dies, GF places car in park and cycles the key, and the car restarts without a problem….

I get no codes and can’t simulate the problem. That being said, it makes me uncomfortable safety wise to have the car die, say at speed. I think we’ve been lucky.

So far, I’ve heard the main fuse may overheat and cut out, thus taking power away from the fuel pump. No fuel, therefore, engine dies.

That said, the engine itself runs absolutely great. NO OVERHEATING OF THE COOLING SYSTEM WHATSOEVER. I don’t suspect spark plugs, ect…

Anyone see or hear similar?

THANKS ALL!
I had a similar issue - replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. But after that it still cut out at low speed for no apparent reason - restarted fine and has not happened again. Sometimes I think you need a professional from the Mini Cooper Service Department to talk to - not just some average mechanic. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.