MINI Cooper Forum banner

Alternator - ready to throw the car in the bin!

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mab01uk 
#1 ·
Hi all

I have been a lurker on the forum for ages, mostly a reader than a poster. I have a lovley R53 BRG Cooper S. 55k Miles, really good nick. Purchased in March, great history etc etc.

Couple months ago the power steering pump went, tried to fix, no joy, had to buy a refurb off eBay.

Two weeks ago, had to call the AA as car just died. Steering heavy etc. classic alternator fail. So off to Euro Car Parts, £200 quid lighter, couple hours of swearing (its a horrible job!)...and there is a new alternator in the car.

However, test the battery fine circa 12.8volts, start the car voltage drops to the pre-alternator change reading of circa 11 volts.

I have checked:
- Battery, fully charged on my bench power supply. Also tried another battery from another car
- All fuses, none blown
- High voltage fuses, all meter out
- Alternator connections

Any ideas?
- Short?
- PAS causing issues (worried I can't hear it whine, maybe because the alternator is not powering)

Any help appreciated, else its going down the tip!

Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
So youre saying the new alternator isnt charging?
Do you have a red ignition/charge warning light come up on the dash with the ignition on before the engine starts?
It used to be with alternators that it needed the charge light to work to excite the alternator to kick it into charging, if the light didnt work the alternator would not start charging?

#3 ·
Alternator and power steering pump problems are closely linked on Mini's and sometimes difficult to pin down which is at fault without diagnostics.....but if alternator is new it may be the refurbed ps pump internal control circuits failing which is not unheard of. If it is a BBA-Reman pump they will replace under warranty if fault is found in returned pump but off course this does not allow for your time and labour involved.

Is there no ps pump whine even when parking and is steering heavy again?

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Alternator appears not to be charging. Red ignition light is on the dash both on pre-start ignition, and post start.

PS pump is a BBA-Reman refurb, with warranty, but wanted to bottom out before returning (as you probably know it's a ball ache of a job to remove!)

After starting there is no ps pump whine, even parked, and steering is heavy...so given the close link it sounds like the pump.

If I unplug the pump, does anyone know if the charge circuit will kick back in? That way I can proove its the pump (hopefully without removing it in the first instance)

Thanks again.
Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.