Which Cooper, and which suspension (stock/koni ...), for ride quality? (forum C1S) - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S 2002 - 2006

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which Cooper, and which suspension (stock/koni ...), for ride quality? (forum C1S)

I posted the below questions about how different Coopers compare in several sub-forums. There is now a very helpful discussion in the 2nd generation Cooper (non-S) forum - see the link below.
I’m in the market for a Cooper hatchback. Every cooper I’ve ever tried has too harsh a ride, so my initial guess is I should go for the 2nd generation, base Cooper (not the Cooper S) with 15” wheels and without runflats. But I would rather like something faster. And I prefer the 1st generation. So I started looking on the forum, and learned that (1) Koni FSDs are a big improvement, (2) the JCW suspension is actually softer than the normal suspension because it’s designed for big wheels, so if I use smaller wheels … , but (3) the 2nd generation Cooper S cannot use 15” wheels. Mostly good, but it leaves me with some questions:

Cooper vs Cooper S, and gen 1 vs gen 2: If one uses the FSD dampers and 16” wheels on all four of these cars, does one end up with the same ride quality, or do the S’s and/or gen 1 cars have stiffer springs or other components?

And how would the gen 2 Cooper S on 16s compare to the others on 15s?

What about the JCWs on the smallest possible wheels? How would the gen 1 JCW (on 16s) and the gen 2 JCW (on 17s) compare to the above?

(I know that the gen 2 cars were available with optional sport suspensions. In this case (and in all other cases) I am of course only interested in the cars with the least stiff option. P.S. I know there was a sport suspension + (“SS+”) option. Were there 2 other choices (normal and sport suspension (“SS”)) or just one?)

Thanks for any insight into this!!!

Last edited by rs10; Aug 17th, 2014 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

EDIT: This post is now outdated (it referred to the other forum mentioned below, but without the link), so I deleted the text that was here.

Last edited by rs10; Aug 17th, 2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

My question has received some very helpful replies in the R56 (2nd generation) Cooper (non-S) forum. Here's the link:

MINI Cooper Forum - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply