MINI Cooper Forum banner

Supercharger Oil

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Wildspark 
#1 ·
Can someone confirm the supercharger oil fill quantites please?
I've found a couple of on-line sources that say 140mL at the snout and 40mL at the WP end.
I did the snout end at the weekend because it easily accessed without taking the front off, but 140mL didn't seem like very much?
One source said it should just come out of the fill plug hole when level.

What is right?

Only about 100mL came out by syringing, so at least it's got more in that it had.

#2 ·
There is a youtube on fill procedure. When I did mine a small amount in WP and more in snout. You should be fine as just having that much will save it.

#4 ·
I have water leak at 74,000 miles and changed water pump and thermostat. While changing water pump changed SC oil. Some say 50K, others when repair work as I did. Still had plenty of oil, so was OK. Some have SC breakdowns at 100K. Just hard to say as there is nothing in maintenance that covers it. If run hard all time as I do mine 50-75K if not experiencing problems. Maybe more often if pulley downsized.

#5 ·
Thanks for those answers. I've only just bought mine at 91K. I'm a bit peeved that BMW in their wisdom saw fit to ignore the SC. It's relatively easy to change the oil, so why not include it in the servicing? It would not be difficult to put it at 50K miles say.
Mine seems to sound fine at the moment, but I just hope that there is some oil in the WP end. I can't get round to doing that for a few weeks.

#7 ·
Finally got round to doing the waterpump end of the SC. Since this is my first time getting into the guts of the Mini, it took a while, about 9 hours from start to finish.
All sorts of useful tips learnt along the way.
I'd recommend watching the Youtube video if you haven't seen it already - particularly the one about "front end service mode" and jacking just to the rear of the jacking point to be able to put axle stands in the jacking points.
Another one I found by trial and error, is to take both clips off the short stubby hose between the throttle body and the SC intake. It's easier to get the hose off via the top, then when re-installing, put the hose onto the throttle body first and push the intake moulding onto the lower end of the hose, otherwise it's a right *insert your preferred profanity here*!
The SC had some oil in the WP end. Probably less than the correct amount, but it was quite clear. Refilled with about 45mL of turbine oil.
Changed the WP as well. The crankcase "O" ring on the old WP was well shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.