MINI Cooper Forum banner

Run flat/ DSC light fault

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  steamraiser2 
#1 ·
My R53 Cooper S has the run flat /dsc light on all the time. Will not reset no matter what i try. There are no punctures , the sensor wires are all good. I have tried removing the F2 fuse without any result. No faults come up on my code reader except the 0326 knock sensor fault. It says ASC off whatever that is.

Local stealer wants £125 to plug it in. i don't believe that it will show anything that my own tester already has picked up. MOT looming in the next month and I need to get the lights out! Any ideas?:confused:

#2 ·
ASC - Automatic Stability Control ASC uses speed sensors at each wheel and throttle position to improve traction by applying the rear brakes if the rear wheels spin faster than the front. It can also shut off individual fuel injectors and close the throttle valve to help maximize traction. ASC also acts as a virtual limited slip differential by detecting a spinning wheel and applying braking force to just that wheel until traction is regained. AWD models (the BMW xi) use ASC-X which monitors all 4 wheels to provide limited slip differential effect. The ASC system also provides traction control by modulating throttle, ignition timing and braking force to maintain traction.

#4 ·
Checked out the steering angle sensor as per RolandH's old post. All seems ok. Ran a full diagnostic check which did not throw up any DSC faults. It did say that the knock sensor is faulty (fault 0326). Scrolling on through all the information it also says that the ASC is not active because of an engine fault (knock sensor presumably?). Would I be right in thinking that this could cause the DSC light etc to stay on?

#5 ·
No. DSC is connected to ABS. I had this fault, which has to be read on BMW MINI programmer. I reset the steering angle sensor after opening and cleaning brushes and it lasted a month. Steering sensor was $200 then. Bought new sensor and installed, took to dealer to reset. Reset was not possible and they gave me another one installed free. When reprograming the ABS/DSC module would not accept new sensor ( did not read ) and then I had to replace the electrical side of the ABS/DSC module ( not the hydralics ) which I found from a closeout at another dealer for $1200. Installed and dealer tried to reset and then realized they needed to enter the new VIN on reset, no problems since. The yaw sensor near hand brake is $2400 and is part of the ABS/DSC system. Get it fixed or it will cost more down the road. All newer cars with ABS/DSC have the same systems and can be very expensive.

#6 ·
To bring this thread up to date: Had a friend come round with a better diagnostic tool than mine. Again ran a full check which threw up nine separate fault codes. These all cleared at the first attempt although the warning lights remained stubbornly on. The only code which had shown during my investigations was 0326 , which is the knock sensor. That proved to be a range issue and data streaming the engine showed all was well.

We noted that no faults showed against the steering angle sensor. Although showing fault free we decided to check and reset everything and during this procedure a recognition error appeared. At the second attempt the lights flickered and went out. Progress! However as soon as the car reached 20mph they came back on Grrr! :angry: This time though a standard reset worked and the car has behaved properly so far today. Moral of the tale? You need the all singing all dancing diagnostic tool when hunting out the "difficult" problems!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.