MINI Cooper Forum banner

Clutch Slipping

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  CCroker 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My 06 plate Cooper S Checkmate's clutch is displaying some odd behavior, however, this doesn't happen on every journey and sometimes it drives fine (even if I accelerate very hard).

Basically, when the fault does occur I'm getting clutch slippage when accelerating anything beyond just tickling the throttle and it happens through all of the gears. When I accelerate it will pull initially then the engine will race with no increase in road speed and then the slipping seems to stop and the car accelerates again.

My extremely limited technical knowledge tells me the clutch is going but I would appreciate any suggestions that you guys might have, even if it's just so that I don't get the wool pulled over my eyes at the garage.

A couples of points to note are that the clutch and flywheel were replaced under warranty at about 6k miles, it's now on 85k. Also, bizarrely we've just had the discs and pads done and the issue has only occurred since then. I think the brake and clutch fluid systems are one and the same so not sure if that could be related?

As I say, any help or suggestions would be extremely gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like it is time Glazed plates grab and release on application with heat build up and riding clutch. Warranty change at 6K and now 79K later would think time is due.

#3 ·
Thanks Charlie,

What I've noticed is that it never does it on a journey from cold. It only happens when I've driven somewhere (with no issues at all) and then used the car again say an hour later. It will then slip repeatedly during the return journey.

It I drive somewhere and the car is parked for hours, it will drive absolutely fine both times.

#4 ·
Your clutch plate gets warm and in the overheating starts slipping, just as brakes do not grip when overheating. You will need to break down and replace clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.