MINI Cooper Forum banner

Looking to buy a Mini

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sytar 
#1 ·
I have been looking at buying a Mini for a bit, and I see a lot of them have transmission replacements in the earlier gen models. Many of them have been Cooper S with 6 speed tranys, so I don't believe that this is the CVT issues.

What are some of the known issues with Transmissions for the 2003-2005 years, and if they have had them replaced, what should I look at to make sure I don't need to put another 3-4k into the car to replace it again?

#2 ·
1st Gen Hatchbacks were built through November 2006 and Convertibles were built through July 2008.

The transmissions in 1st Gen MINIs which had lots of problems were the CVT automatic in Cooper and One models and the Midlands manual transmission in Cooper and One models built before July 2004.

The manual transmission used in 1st Gen Cooper S and Diesel models was a robust Getrag unit. The automatic transmission used in Cooper S models was an Aisin unit, the same manufacturer of choice for the 2nd and 3rd Gen MINI.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. From what I have seen of the cars posted, I think 4 of the 5 all said they had replaced transmissions, and they were the manual transmissions. Just seemed a bit strange that so many had that one issue, although I don't know the reason for any of them, it could be anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.