MINI Cooper Forum banner

Surging idle which is intermittent

13K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a 2003 mini 1.6 cooper s r53 model. It has an intermittent surging idle issue. It is doing this more than not now but if i stop the car and restart the car sometimes it will stop doing it and idle will be normal. Sometimes it will not do it at all then suddenly start. Driving me crazy! Can anyone help? Please

Thank you

Sienna :crying:

#2 ·
On the intake manifold right behind the radiator as you look at the engine from center. This is a MAF sensor. On the left side of engine ( inside car looking out ) above the thermostat housing is a T-MAF sensor. T is for temperature controlled. I pulled one at a time and used MAF sensor cleaner on each, let dry, reinstalled and idle returned to normal. Just a try and see thing, if no codes showing.

#3 ·
Front oxygen sensor can do that too

#5 ·
Another to consider is the fuel pump, remove the lower rear seat and in a quiet area, turn on the ignition and you will hear the pump initiate, if you can hear a varying pitch from high to low its an indication the pump is on its way out. I had the same issue and when I had surge issues, I could hear the pump tone varying until it got to a stage where the car was undrivable. If the pumps tone/noise is constant, then obviously the pump is OK. A new pump isn't cheap but its about a 20 min change over if you DIY and obviously with a 1/4 tank of fuel or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.