MINI Cooper Forum banner

Best fluid for transmission

20K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  cjm 
#1 ·
What is the best MTL for the 6-speed? I am considering going to GM Sychromesh Friction Modified MTF as it did a fantastic job smoothing the shifts in an older higher-mileage EF Civic I had years ago, but I am always looking for suggestions. I have also heard that a heavier weight fluid works well, such as the MT-90 stuff from Redline. I ran the MT-90 in an EP3 Civic I had in 2005, and I never had a shifting issue with that one either, but it was a low mile car as well.

#2 ·
Just use the standard Mini Oil or Redline MTL, they are both GL4 oils and wont dissolve your brass bushings like a GL 5 oil will.

Personally I use Redline MTL in both my Midland 5 speed and Getrag 6 speed boxes, the price diff between Redline MTL and Mini oil is negligible and I can get Redline MTL easier than Mini Oil.

#3 ·
Nothing Redline is available in my area, so I went with GM Synchromesh FM fluid. GM specs it for their cars equipped with Getrag gearboxes, so it will be fine in the Mini. Available at any Chevy dealer! That's easy!

#4 ·
Look on the Label, if it says API GL - 5 , your up for a new gearbox in about 20,000 km if your lucky, it has an additive that will dissolve any brass bushings (Mini uses them) in the gear box.

If it says API GL - 4 then you would hope your safe. Oils aint oils and that's why most will recommend Mini/BMW (MTF94) Oil or Redline MTL (which in the USA is available on Amazon in 1 quart bottles) and if you have a 6 speed Getrag you need 2 bottles (1.7 litres), if its a 5 speed midland, you need 2 bottles (just under 2 litres).

ACDELCO is transmission oil, Mini/BMW(MTF94) or Redline MTL are transmission AND transaxle oil, you need to look at the label for what its designed to do, additives, its API type. Oil is cheap, a gearbox isn't.

Amazon.com: Red Line (50204) SAE 75W80 API GL-4 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Lubricant - 1 Quart: Automotive

#5 ·
ACDELCO is transmission oil
Yes, very good.

Mini/BMW(MTF94) or Redline MTL are transmission AND transaxle oil, you need to look at the label for what its designed to do, additives, its API type.
Same thing. You do know that we have front wheel drive cars (transaxle) in the US right?

ACDelco SFM is MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID. It is used in GM vehicles with Getrag transmissions. Regardless of what fluid BMW uses, the transmission is manufactured by an outside company that builds transmissions for all cars. The GM cars with Getrag transmissions used this fluid. Don't buy into the "BMW only" or Redline hype. There are many different fluids that will perform well.

Look on the Label, if it says API GL - 5 , your up for a new gearbox in about 20,000 km if your lucky, it has an additive that will dissolve any brass bushings (Mini uses them) in the gear box.

If it says API GL - 4 then you would hope your safe.
GM does not release specs on their fluids, so it will not be labeled API anything, but I have found multiple sources where analysis has been done on GM SFM and no sulfur EP compounds are present. Therefore it would be an API GL-4 fluid and it will not harm yellow metals. I don't require any HOPE on this topic.

The Aisin automatic is the other Cooper has had the fluid changed to non-Mini/BMW fluid as well. I guess I will need a new tranny soon? BMW fluids aren't anything special and there are better alternatives.

And yes, fill the gearbox until fluid runs out, so it was ~1.7 qts.

#6 ·
jc8825, what a surprise, you have front wheel drive cars in the USA ? I'm gob smacked ! really ! I thought you all drove Mustangs with rear wheel drive, seriously, you had to make a comment like that ? considering the time spent and places visited in the USA, I am fully aware of the vehicles you have on the road, the only thing I had difficulty with was driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

As regards to transmission fluids, I have owned a rear wheel drive car that had a stiff selection when changing gear, I decided to change the gear box oil and upon consulting the workshop manual (Holden in Australia but GM in the USA), it informed me that the gear box used Engine oil, not Transmission oil.

In regards to API GL-4 and API GL-5 oil, if its not marked on the label and you don't bother to check the specifications, how on earth would you know and its been covered many times on various forums about not using GL-5 oils for the very reason of damage to brass fittings and bushings.

Its also advised by many parts suppliers to use either BMW transaxle oil or as an alternative recommendation, Redline MTL for a good reason. If you have information on alternative Oils suitable for the Mini gearbox, then why not share that list instead of the comment that you have made. If you actually look at all of the official BMW specs, relevant to differing country's, they actually have a rather varied range of lubricants for engine and transaxles.

The original poster asked for a recommendation what was the best MTL to use, Redlines own website will point you to Redline MTL, not the other variants they make. I gave a recommendation on personal experience , also from many contacts I have from within the USA. One online parts supplier that posts DIY info also considers Redline MTL as the gold standard. Its not a hype on specific brands, its based on the recommendations of many Mini owners both in Australia and the USA and dare I say many other countries around the world.

My first reply was an opinion based on personal experience with a caution on the API, my second reply was again, a caution to check the API as it is common knowledge that the incorrect API would eventuate with premature gearbox failure with link to Redline MTL on Amazon in the USA, ergo, it shouldn't be hard to obtain and one would think it would be cheaper the purchasing BMW oil.

So, in essence, you have posted your opinion which we all welcome and embrace, however, try to be a bit more constructive, list alternatives to either BMW or Redline MTL and back it up. The original poster asked for recommendation, help them out, that's what this forum is for, not to sledge another's opinion unless it is an outrageous and totally misleading post.

I hope you have an enjoyable day, I'm about to reinstall the new clutch and gearbox into my R53 and fill the box with Redline MTL, 1.7 litres ! :)

Edit: Now I have had my morning coffee and am full awake, I have just realised your the original poster, in light of your response, if your so happy with the GM oil, why on earth did you bother to ask for recommendations in the 1st place ?

#7 ·
Hi jc8825. MTF-94 was the original and imo the best for MINIs.

I've used it throughout my Gen1 and Gen2 MINIs, recently in my 2014 R56 N18 MCS.

I tilt the car over to drain it then jack it the other way to put 2l in every time...

LandRover/Honda/MINI seem to label the same product in their own bottles but I gather it was originally manufactured by Texaco.

It's straw-coloured, has a viscosity of 75W-80, has a unique smell and is mineral-based; not synthetic (ie not "filled for life, sir" imo) Easy to get and cheap to d-i-y every 2 years or so...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.