MINI Cooper Forum banner

r53 exhaust

8K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  CadmannUK 
#1 ·
I've just been searching around looking at the different exhaust options, I want it to be pretty loud but have the little crackles too. anyone suggest and exhausts from past experience which have done this?

#8 ·
youtube clips aren't a great representation really, and none reveal the awful drone you may have in the car with many exhausts

my own solution was most recently a JCW catback with a 4-1 header and decat. There is no drone, the exhaust can be quiet at light throttle, and is progressive in it's sound, and actually great to live with, on the motorway opening it up, it's quite noisy, and depending on tune, the cracks and pops are quite obvious, louder as expected due to no cat and exhaust being more open. Over 4k it's significant, or heavier throttle at lower rpm in lower gears also nice.

#11 ·
I have a non resonated Milltek on my R53 and the pops and bangs are awesome .... However after having it on for around 4 months I'm now wishing I'd gone for the resonated version ... and will probably switch the centre section at some point soon. It's a bit droney to be honest but that's probably my age! Lol :D

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Not had mine fitted yet. Garage couldn't fit me in til Thursday. Am getting nervous that the non resonated system might be a bit too much in an R52!!! And for a 40+ year old going on 22! ��

We will see!! As G4tyrant says I can get a new centre section or even put the old one back on (unless I sell it!)

Minialf

#13 ·
The Milltek is now fitted. Sounds loud but not too loud. The pops are really enhanced and there's a general throatiness to the sound (Sorry its hard to describe!). I must admit it made me laugh out loud and grin when I first drove it! ::smile::

I'll give some feedback once I've used it a bit. Its not my daily driver so this might take a while!

Minialf

Attachments

#17 ·
As promised a bit of feedback on the milltek on my MCS cab.

I love it!! The sound is just right. Its burbly when not accelerating hard. But if you plant your foot it wails. But the sound isn't harsh. It has a bass note feeling.

The pops sound awesome.

I bought my mini for a bit of fun in the sun and wanted something that made me smile and feel the non resonated exhaust is the icing on the cake. My mini came with an Alta air intake so as I press the loud pedal there is a great suck of air, a deep roar from the pipes and then the SC joins in. Magic!!

If you're thinking of getting an exhaust the You Tube clips are OK, but you need to hear one for real.

Hope this helps. Cheers
Minialf

#21 ·
Only recently actually done a motorway run with mine.

I didn't feel it was that intrusive. I could hear it when I accelerated, but when cruising it was fine.

No idea if in an R53 it would be that different, but I suspect not. I'm driving a convertible so accept a little extra noise.

Minialf

#27 ·
I went for the Milltek based on listening to various YouTube clips. It's deeper sounding than stock but not a bore on long motorway trips. Mine is non-resonated. I think you'd soon tire of anything much louder and as someone else pointed out above, you'd attract Plod's attention as well as potentially failing the MOT (although loudness is a subjective part of the test).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.