MINI Cooper Forum banner

Automatic gearbox fix / part exchange

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Alexander Golev 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My 2005 R53's automatic gearbox has developed an issue with 3rd gear - switching to it either too early or too late. The car is still drivable but the kicks and delays are very annoying.

I went to Bristol Transmissions last week, and they quoted over £2000 to fix it.

So I am considering getting a parts exchange replacement. I tried minigearboxes.co.uk but they don't deal with automatic. There's another website named similarly - minigearbox.co.uk, however it is a little to far from Cotswolds, and there's limited to none information about them either.

So dear forum, I need your advice.

Regards,
Alex

#6 ·
Wow that's really helpful to the OP! Some of us have to have automatics due to disabilities, and happen to like Minis too..

Alex, google automatic recon to death, how much would BMW charge? If it makes you feel any better about autos we have had 3 auto Minis with not one issue(all Minis bought secondhand) good luck with the repair.

#3 ·
the cvt doesn't have gears it has two cones that has a rubber belt running up and down them.

over time this belt stretches and the surface becomes polished which causes it to slip and this in turn limits or stops its ability to change ratios.

the best solution is to buy a manual mini.

the cvt autos are known for a very short life span even when rebuilt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.