MINI Cooper Forum banner

Advice needed buying a 2006 Cooper S.........

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnnyC 
#1 ·
Hi all, long story short I have been out of minis for nearly a year but decided enough is enough i need another MINI. I previously had a 55 black eyed purple Cooper.

Today I test drove a 2006 chili red Cooper S. Nearly 40k on the clock, 1 previous owner. Serviced 4 times only in the last 10 years however but looking in the book it has only done around 4k a year so only been serviced as and when needed? Garage has done a fresh MOT and will also do a full service.

Checked it over for all the known problems, no noises or dodgy rattles coming from anywhere. The garage also let me look underneath the car and check for leaks, rust etc. The only thing I could find was one of the back box's has started to rust. The guy said they are double skinned so don't worry is this correct or should I avoid?

Other than that there is a few scrapes and minor scratches but nothing you wouldn't expect on a 10 year old MINI, and one minor ding that I would look into getting repaired in future.

My only real concern was one side of the plastic trim on the windscreen(between the windscreen and the door window glass) has come loose at the top and is no longer flush, i tried popping it back in but it wouldn't go. Is this an easy fix anyone know? Concerned it may let water in.

I have put a deposit on this MINI and told the garage I will be back to look at it again, it is for sale for just under 5000. It is an RAC approved garage and I can apparently get 12mnthss warranty for an extra 200. My plan was as I am paying in cash ask them to included the 12months for free.

I checked the MOT history on the gov.uk website it says it has only ever failed once, the time it went to the current garage it had 2 reasons, one for a broken headlamp which has been fixed. The other failure was for "front inner front suspension has excessive play in a track control arm inner bush and offside" what does this mean exactly?

What do guys think? Sorry for the waffle posting, just keen to get back in the MINI world again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Today I test drove a 2006 chili red Cooper S. Nearly 40k on the clock, 1 previous owner. Serviced 4 times only in the last 10 years however but looking in the book it has only done around 4k a year so only been serviced as and when needed? Garage has done a fresh MOT and will also do a full service.
Oil does deteriorate with age, and particularly in forced-induction engines (where the oil generally runs hotter as it's also used to cool the turbo/charger), so I'd be a little concerned with that. Check the MOT history and see if it was driven every year, or whether it had long periods of non-use.

If you were trading this car in, I'd put my mortgage on the garage telling you that 4 services in 10 years does not constitute a full service history as the book clearly states a mileage limit OR annually, whichever comes first.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I don't think the car has been driven daily, if it has, then short trips at most. As you can see from the MOT history it has done between 3/4k a year.

Here is the MOT history for the vehicle copied and pasted. Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

Check the MOT history of a vehicle
Registration number: EJ06SYO

Vehicle make MINI Vehicle model MINI Date first used 2 June 2006 Fuel type Petrol Colour Red

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date 14 April 2016 Expiry date 13 April 2017 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 39,765 miles MOT test number 2939 1172 8338

Test date 12 April 2016 Test Result Fail Odometer reading 39,765 miles MOT test number 5620 6680 1301 Reason(s) for failure
nearside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
nearside Headlamp excessively deteriorated so that the light output is severely reduced (1.7.5a)
nearside front inner Front suspension has excessive play in a track control arm inner bush and offside (2.5.B.2b)

Test date 10 July 2015 Expiry date 9 July 2016 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 36,383 miles MOT test number 7084 6199 5119

Test date 8 July 2014 Expiry date 9 July 2015 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 33,150 miles MOT test number 2291 5968 4466

Test date 9 July 2013 Expiry date 9 July 2014 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 29,988 miles MOT test number 4656 0069 3102 Advisory notice item(s)
Nail in nearside rear tyre
nearside front tyre worn on inner and outer edges

Test date 10 July 2012 Expiry date 9 July 2013 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 27,499 miles MOT test number 7583 8219 2115

Test date 4 July 2011 Expiry date 3 July 2012 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 24,985 miles MOT test number 4161 6598 1157

Test date 28 June 2010 Expiry date 27 June 2011 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 21,796 miles MOT test number 5404 9957 0191

Test date 10 June 2009 Expiry date 9 June 2010 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 17,032 miles MOT test number 2809 3146 9129

#5 ·
Why do you think paying in cash will get you a free warranty? Most dealers want you to pay on debit card as cash is a liability and the banks charge to handle it.

Don't insult someone by suggesting cash is a means to avoid "the books" as a business that runs like that is hardly one to buy a car from yet alone a warranty.

If you like the car you're better negotiating the price through identifying faults that need to be corrected, the exhaust being one of them.

Don't be surprised if you're told the price is just that, Minis hold thier prices and audience, especially a late supercharged Cooper S, they know if you don't buy it someone else will....and soon.

#6 ·
Yeah I meant I was paying directly and not part-ex or finance. I will be using my debit card and not a pillow case full of dough haha I wasn't trying to insult anyone really, normally I go car shopping with someone but personal reasons mean I am doing this purchase off my own back. I am only posting here for advice. I have researched the RAC warranty and apparently they are not worth the extra so I will be trying to negotiate the price down a little. I do plan on replacing the exhaust with a full miltek so its not a major issue currently and it wasn't blowing:big_grin:

#9 ·
It sounds like an awful lot of money for a car that you obviously see there some problems - if they are obvious to you, then it is also obvious to the garage which is doing little more than changing the oil before selling it on. At £5k I would be expecting a lot more and better condition.

When I bought my MCS cars for sale at garages were worse than those for sale privately. Four services in 10 years does not sound like a FSH to me either. There are lots of cars out there for sale so go and look at others before committing your self

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice all.

I didn't buy this MINI. I ended up getting a Black Eyed Purple Cooper S 54 plate. Much better condition throughout, only 21k on the clock, mint nearly apart from some stone chips. Very happy with it, drove a million times better than the red :) It has the built in sat nav also, which although I didn't buy it for that I do think its very nice addition and I like the 2 gauge set up above the steering wheel. Pick it up Thursday, will post some pics soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.