MINI Cooper Forum banner

Tyres for less noise?

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  CCroker 
#1 ·
I've just got a Cooper S and am enjoying it greatly... howveer I can't help notice the greater cabin noise on the motorway than my old Laguna (obviously a different bread of car).

I currently have Mazzini ECO605 tyres on the front, curtousy of the previoous owner.

Is there any concenus on the best choice for this car to minimise road noise?

#3 ·
I have an R53 2005 Mini Cooper S that had 39000 miles when I bought it. The tire noise was so bad they changed the rear hub and this of course did nothing. I bought a set of Continental DWS 06 and they are amazing on this car. Not only do the handle like the cars on rails there is virtually no tire noise and I live and drive in NYC and the st6reets are a mess. Of course they won't smooth out the massive holes in the streets of NYC but I just baby the car over them until I can find a smooth road or get out the city

#6 ·
Are you sure it's the tyres that are contributing to the noise? When I replaced my runflats with normal tyres, I noticed an increase in comfort, but nothing else. The sunroof, dashboard, wind around the wing mirrors and other rattles in a 14 year old car are much noisier than the rubber on the road. I don't think you will ever get the silence of a softly-suspended saloon in a Cooper S.

#7 ·
I have the run-flat Good-Year Eagles on now. I use Khumo ASTs on the road and Khumo ASPs on the track. I have gone thru 3 sets of Good-Years and I cannot hear tire noise as the Borlas and the supercharger upgrade with the cold air intake eliminates all road noise. Sorry, can't help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.