MINI Cooper Forum banner

R53 MCS probs help please.....

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MidLifeCrysis 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here goes bought a pretty nice 125k miles 2002 Mini Cooper s a few months ago (pretty mad for a 42 year old lol) anyway have had a few probs which I've managed to solve inc sunroof stuck, rounded off sump nut, water leaks and not being serviced for 25,000 miles....
Anyway my biggest problem ATM is I can't get the radiator fans to work at all and it overheated on my missus whilst stuck behind an accident, since this I've fitted a new header tank, thermostat and housing and even today a salvaged rad and fan with a different resonator on, I've also noticed tonight that the power steering fan isn't working either??....
I've checked all the fuses this evening and there is power into fuse box so I'm seriously stumped....
I'm wondering if it's the resonator in the salvage fan housing or something more serious, I've also noticed it's still bubbling over in the header tank but not sure if that's normal with these??....
Was even thinking about doing it the old school way and wiring a switch into dash lol :nerd:
Any ideas would be gratefully received before the BIG BIG hammer comes out....
Cheers John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes there is a resistor that can be a cause of at least one fan dropping out not sure about losing both though.

Its always worth a search on the forum as many people on here have experienced problems such as yours before and there is a mine of good information on here. I had a quick search of 'Mini Cooper S Fan...and Google filled in 'not working' as the 4th most popular search!

There is a reasonably recent thread on this forum here (sorry I cant post the full url):

214898-02-mini-cooper-1st-stage-fan-not-working

The fans should get power via a temperature sensing switch built into the cylinder head so a low coolant level can prevent this switch from operating (making a bad situation worse) and also when the A/C is switched on. If you are not getting any fan action at all then it may be a bad earth connection as this is common to both. If you can use a small test meter you should be able to unplug and test for power to first and second stage fans between the supply and earth, test the fans by rigging up an independant power supply, run a new earth etc. Also even if the fuses are OK have you checked, swapped or otherwise tested the relays ( high current switches) that deliver the power via the fuse? Is there power on the supply side of the fuse? Relay?

Have a read through the thread and do some more testing best of luck with the new car. By the way all the issues you've listed are very common and there are a few more besides but they conspire to make the car more of a challenge and in a perverse kind of way more satisying to own once you've got the car sorted, provided you are mechanically minded or have deep pockets otherwise sell it now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.