20 Things You May Not Know About the R53 Cooper S But Should Know - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S 2002 - 2006

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
20 Things You May Not Know About the R53 Cooper S But Should Know

For those who consider purchasing an R53 and some of the often asked questions, this article may shed some light on things to be aware of outside of the self promotion of certain products.

GTT | GT Tuning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

now a sticky!

some good info there Jeff..

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 12:06 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Nice find Milpol

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 11:37 AM
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

England Male

No mention of super charger problems, which they have created a repair program for, so must have seen a few.
Or cam chain tensioners going week....my main worries about the R53.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw123 View Post
No mention of super charger problems, which they have created a repair program for, so must have seen a few.
News to me
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw123 View Post
Any links?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2016, 09:55 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

England Male

GTT | GT Tuning

Their videos are on youtube as well and in their website somewhere.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2016, 08:44 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)

United Kingdom

"they" have created a repair program, not BMW or Eaton, but a company that makes money rebuilding them
SeanC likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2016, 09:04 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
"they" have created a repair program, not BMW or Eaton, but a company that makes money rebuilding them
Was hoping to see my BMW/MINI contact today to see if he knew about this as like you Johnny I haven't heard of this. Don't think I'll bother now.
JohnnyC likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2016, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Australia Male

Garage
Something to consider in regards to the Eaton Super Charger n the R53 mini, there was obviously never any intent by BMW to do preventative maintenance. There is a company in the UK who use the Eaton SC for classic mini supercharging with a kit they have developed. Said kit was the BMW Mini SC with the waterpump removed and the open hole blanked off and the owner obtained them from Mini when they were changed over from either warranty or repairs. Eaton don't produce them anymore, GTT have developed repairs on units that are repairable and have even developed how to balance and align the rotors which would have been a huge cost to them.

When you consider an oil change (at either end) every 45,000 km would have enhanced their life, this could only be done by removing the SC unit from the car to access the oil ports at either end.

Then, consider the Sprintex unit that actually has an electric water pump and !!! a dip stick for the main oil chamber that is required to be checked frequently (now isn't that a novel idea for maintenance checks), plus they have a recommended oil change schedule.

There is a place in the USA that also does the SC PTO bearing repair as well as GTT but I think GTT offers the additional such as the rotor pack service.

Thankfully, these companies exist for those who wish to try to preserve the R53 because frankly, without them they would not be worth touching once the SC fails so in the end, if your SC sounds sick, get it sorted ASAP and for goodness sake, learn how to do the oil change (ideal time is when you do the coolant change). Left to late, its very expensive and your unit may even be unserviceable due to the damage.

And don't forget, BMW want you to drive a Gen3, they don't want Gen 1's on the road anymore than they wanted the classic mini around once the BMW variant was released. Thankfully, the classic and the Gen 1 are still with us today.

SeanC likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milpol For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2016, 12:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpol View Post
Something to consider in regards to the Eaton Super Charger n the R53 mini, there was obviously never any intent by BMW to do preventative maintenance. There is a company in the UK who use the Eaton SC for classic mini supercharging with a kit they have developed. Said kit was the BMW Mini SC with the.....
Really Useful!
Thank you for your information!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2016, 01:17 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Belgium Male

Garage
What do they mean on point 16 by "If you find the gearing slightly long (tall) on your pre- facelift 2002-2004car"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Australia Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotech View Post
What do they mean on point 16 by "If you find the gearing slightly long (tall) on your pre- facelift 2002-2004car"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prob the best answer I can find.

Short gearing: You rotate the throttle or press the accelerator by 20% and the rpm(rotations per minute) reach their max capacity, after which you have to shift to an upper gear if you want to keep accelerating.

Tall gearing: Means you will be able to take the above percentage to a higher level. Eg. 40% without being required to upshift the gear.

Tall gearing is helpful in stop and go traffic because you have to shift gears to a lesser extent as compared to a short gearing vehicle.

Hope this helps...

I actually find my 1st gear on my 2006 R53 short and would rather it be a bit taller before I'm into 2nd.

Short or tall gearing refers to gear rations.
At certain rpm lets say 2000rpm the car will go at different speeds in different gears. Not only that two cars will go at different speeds at 2000rpm in their top gears.
So if you have taller 5th gear in car A than car B you will go faster at 2000rpm, which means more relaxed cruising for the engine.
Short gearing means that engine has to rev at a higher speed to get the same actual speed.
So in a shorter geared car you will get better acceleration but lower mileage because your engine is running at a high speed.

For example esteem as a very tall 2nd gear. At redline the second gear can cross 100kmph. At the same rpm in other cars the seond peaks out at around 80-90kmph at the same rpm.

in addition, tall gearing may also be referred to the gear ratios: the step up from 1-2-3-4-5 should be smooth, as there should not be any un-necessary revving up in the prev gear to match the 'comfortable' speed of the next gear.

fuel efficiency is the main reason to provide tall gearing.
SeanC and nanotech like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 01:45 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Belgium Male

Garage
Thx now i'm getting the point of of changing the tires to a lower profile.
Milpol likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2016, 07:42 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

You know the other useful point about GTT, is they're the only people that use the factory method of interference fit pulleys when they swap them.

They did mine, great service too.

Gearing..... the 1st gear in my facelift car is too short imo, in fact 1st and 2nd, better gearing was on my Getrag 5 speed in the Mini One I had before, and it's tempting to fit that box actually, which would match my engine better than the ratios in this six speed. Either that or a very expensive Quaife option for gears or final drive. Mini Sport do a final drive kit but it's too much of a jump down. The Mini One box worked well with the tuned engine, longer 1st and 2nd, and 5th was a nice gear too. I actually did the opposite and fitted 215/45 tyres which lengthens the gearing very slightly, and corrects some of the speedo error, but it still needs longer lower gears. In town traffic short gears are good as you can get off the clutch, so it's all a compromise. Mini shortened them on the facelift when upping the power a bit to make a facelift car feel a bit sharper. It wasn't necessary really.
Milpol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.