MINI Cooper Forum banner

Both Front Wishbone Bushes Split

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Mtr 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought CS and as had problem with the keys, (stated in separate thread) I took it in for them to check and asked them to do a once over ... and they find that this job is needed too ... poor since I only bought it 3 days ago from an independent trader, so will be picking It up with them of course to ask them to do it ... as apparently they would have failed the MOT that they had done 4 days ago and not only passed it, but did so with No Advisories ?

Mini want £500 to replace the lot, £150 parts the rest labour ... do people tend to find, I'm in the Warwickshire area, that local mechanics do a decent enough job and if so ... if you are from my area of the UK ... do you have any recommendations please ?

#5 ·
#6 ·
I know this post seems an odd one but I can't stress enough that I'm not a mechanic and never claim to be, so the company I bought the car off is saying they will change the bushes my question is ... is there a simple way of knowing they have done it when I get it back ? Physical signs and where do I look ?

Sorry for those car mechanic / engineers that read this post and are rolling their eyes ;-)

#10 ·
Not everyone is capable, has the workspace capacity or wants to DIY, nothing wrong with that. However, that being said, you can always learn and most of us old hands have more than likely learnt from the school of hard knocks and messed more than a few things up. These days, you have posts and youtube that were never around 30 odd years ago to help you along. If you still would like to DIY, start small and gain confidence, don't be afraid to ask questions but do listen to responses. Try and find a local club where there will be at least one member competent on the tools who should be able to show you what to do if asked nicely. Though many of us here may be old hands, I doubt more than a few are experts but most of us can give you the benefit of our experience.

I have a mate who gives me a hand from time to time, this is his way of learning basic car maintenance. I have a 3rd or 4th hand when needed and he walks away with another snippet of knowledge. He is 60 so your never to old to learn. :)

#8 ·
I like the idea of them ... but suspect as they are doing it and don't particularly wish to be ... as it's warranty only thing, they'll have chosen the cheapest option, which I suspect sadly is not the Polys ... hopefully they are at least OEM's but wondered how to know they have ?

#11 ·
Wise words Milpol. There was no forums or youtube around when I started out either so it was Haynes Manuals and hands on experience as well as learning from others that got me to where I am today and I'm still learning as every day passes :)

Cars were so much more simple back in the day with points and plugs....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.