MINI Cooper Forum banner

New owner problems

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Sasquatchuk 
#1 ·
Bought my cooper s 2003 on Christmas eve. was a tidy but had a few problems. First problem is a xenon light that randomly goes out I have to switch them on and of on the stalk. Second problem and worse was that the heater was giving no heat. The engine as not overheating or using any coolant that I could see. So I tried to bleed the system I got a lot of air out but still no heat. It was then I drained the system and removed the thermostat it was then I spotted the copper particles of K seal. This meant to me suspect head gasket. So I ordered the parts and stripped it down. I have flushed all the water system through now and have clean water. I could not spot any clear blown parts on the gasket but see copper particles around a couple of water jackets. I have also ordered thermostat and housing. I also had to remove the sump as a friend accidently dropped a socket down the cam chain housing into the sump. Next time I will deffo block the area off with a rag lol. I have since cleaned the sump out and removed the pickup cleaned and replaced the seal no nasty surprises where found in the sump the engine seems to have plenty of life left in her thank goodness.
I guess my matrix was filling with air hence why I received no heat. Any tips on bleeding these. I have checked the supercharger is driving the pump. And next time intend on taking it off and checking it properly whilst fitting a new pump oil change and smaller pulley.
I have driven the car 2 days in total so cant wait to get it on the road.
if anyone has any tips on sorting the headlamp let me know.
Cheers

heres hoping to having a running car on sunday with heat!!!

See less See more
#6 ·
Got all the parts here ready to fit weekend. Thermostat housing gaskets and sump all cleaned as well as pickup. Hoping after all this it runs better and with heat it's so cold in UK at moment without heating lol.Bought a tool belt and belt as well thought might as well change that as well lol. So at the moment I have mini in pieces lol.

#9 ·
Update.

Head back on.. sump back on. Tried to turn over without ht leads but it would not turn over till I plugged the leads in. still waiting on new heater matrix to be deliviered. Had engine running today but Eml light was flashing so need connect my laptop to read Codes.

It's a mini.adventure lol.

Still no heat though hence why I'm changing the matrix. Oh well eventually I will have a new mini lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.