MINI Cooper Forum banner

Differential Lock 25% ????

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rodhot 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I have another friggin new guy question. I ran my vin number thru BMW decoder and found that my 05 Mini S has a 25% differential lock. Being a old muscle car guy, I always had a posi-track differential in my rods and thought lsd was just a modern term for referencing that. Apparently not! Just what does that mean, 25% and why not a true positive lock, maybe because of front wheel drive? Thanks in advance for puttin' up with my ignorant questions.

#5 ·
My 2005 MCS has the 25%er. Great write up. Thanks Milpol. Years ago a friend had a stripped out classic mini for grass tracking. Diff was permenantly 100% locked. Welded solid. Pushing it in his yard with steering lock on was a nightmare. Took 3 people to get it to move. It was a great demo, in slow-mo, being able to see both wheels turning at the same speed despite the difference in the radius of the notional 'circle' each wheel was describing. Taught me a bit about locked diffs as a youngster.

#6 ·
a spool that ties both axles together is common in drag racing. often the differences in a Quaife vs a peloquin is discussed on vw forums as both are available for them. i had an 01 jetta 1.8T enhanced to 300 ft lb torque, + even when stock @ 160 ft lb torque steer was brutal. as i added power it got worse then i had a quaife installed, no more torque steer + a great car in bad weather with 4 snow tyres. while going straight both front wheels pulled together a good thing for sure. i would never buy another FWD without some kind of LSD, as the unit + install was 2G but i upgraded the clutch as well since it was right there!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.