MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bay area Dealer ( SF California ) Cooper S summary

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jaycbird 
#1 ·
I did some calling around because I am very interested in getting a custom built Cooper S. Here are the answers I got from the various dealerships:

Mountain View: $2500.00 over MSRP, and will not take any orders because they already have ~600 on the list

Concord: $2500.00 over MSRP, they will take orders based on allocation. ( The way the guy explained it was kinda confusing )

Sacramento: $1500 over MSRP + $995 "Protection Package" ( Which includes such important things as super paint protection and interior protection mats etc.. just basically unecessary garbage ) They are on a FCFS basis. Check www.niello.com for inventory.

East Bay MINI ( Pleasanton ): They will sell you the car for MSRP. but there is 14 month waiting list for custom orders. Also they put vin etching on the car whether you pay for it or not.

So it looks like in the SFBay area we are screwed if we want a MINI now. Otherwise you have to pay the "have it now" fee of ~$2500.00

Ugh... I want the car. I may pay that... Am I stupid? Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am buying my Cooper thru East Bay.
I was on the list for an S but decided to
go for the Cooper instead.

One factor in that decision was the 10-12 month wait
for an S. However, it is my impression these lists are
not as bad as they seem.

Two weeks ago I stopped by Mountain View & asked how long their waiting list were etc.
They said they go down
the list; call the next person; if they don't answer they
go to next guy.

Other sales people have made similar comments to me.
If you check pasts posts regarding waiting list you will see some people
got "bumped up" their lists.

It also helps to be the "squeaky wheel".

Another option is to go out of state. Some pasts posts have
sung the praises for Salt Lake Mini & Phoenix(?)

#3 ·
Like Minirossa I'm getting a Cooper from East Bay MINI and one factor in my decision was the time lag on the S. My own order seems to be coming in a month or more ahead of schedule. I suspect you might find something similar with the S, although that admittedly is still a long wait. In terms of service and price East Bay seems to win hands down in our area, but of course, that is part of the reason they have such a long list. I think you just have to decide which is more important to you, price or speed of delivery? (I know, I know, I'm stating the obvious) Concord seems like they do a pretty good job of getting cars through quickly, at least judging by their e-mails I get. (Just got one a minute ago in fact) I notice you didn't mention SF MINI on your list. I don't think they're much different from most of the others in terms of dealer mark up, but they might be able to get you in a car faster. I think any custom order for an S you make at this point however, is going to involve a lengthy wait just because of the overall national demand. Good luck!

#4 ·
Look out-of-state for MSRP and a short list ( ;) ), pay the "best" premium (doesn't MINI of SF at least give you something with their mark-up) or jump in the "way back machine" and dial it to May 2001, when you could've joined me in the front of East Bay MINI's waiting list :D

#5 ·
My two cents:

I'll be buying mine through Concord, as soon as the Cooper S is Indi Blue or British Racing Green. sigh...

SF-MINI (as I've ranted in other threads and will restrain myself here) has a significant mark-up, which is appears to getting higher as demand increases.

Pleasanton seems quite pleasant and fair, but as I fully acknowledge that this is a toy, I'm more than happy to attempt the race to Concord when their allocations come in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.