MINI Cooper Forum banner

How bad is 2002 Mini reliability, really?

45K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Wanderson7262 
#1 ·
I've been idly pricing various Coopers without really intending to buy, but (unfortunately?) I've come across one I really like the looks of that's priced especially conveniently... The only thing that much concerns me is that it's a 2002, and on these forums the general consensus seems to be that Minis don't really come into their own in terms of reliability until 2004 or so. How do 2002ish vehicles honestly seem to stack up compared to other cars? When they do break after warranty, are they considerably more expensive to repair at a dealership/elsewhere than some Chevy or Nissan? Is the Midland gearbox as much of a problem for manuals, or is that mostly only an issue for CVTs?

I am somewhat obsessed with Minis. I've never even driven one, and it'll blow most of my savings to buy this one -- but dangit, my car is a twice-wrecked piece of crap that everyone makes fun of me for driving, and I ain't saving for nothing... If I do succumb to temptation and make the irresponsible choice, I'd like to know what I'm truly getting myself into in terms of future costs.

#2 ·
I don't think the 2002's were that much of a problem. I had a few minor issues the first year or so and one electrical problem that was a bit more signficant, but even that was an easy fix once they figured out what the issue was. Since the warranty expired 16,000 miles ago the only issue has been a bit of radio static.

#3 ·
my mum has a 2001 mini and to be honest it is in much better condition than the younger cherished minis I have seen at the BMW dealers. I have just bought a 2001 mini myself cos i was so impressed with my mums. . No problems whatsoever, dont believe everything you read!

#4 ·
2002 Cooper

The missus runs a 52 plate (so had it for 4 years now) which I borrow a couple of days a week. Had a few small niggles with it, Cd player, driver window stopped working, driver door hinge, but nothing major.

Have to say its great fun to drive, a little under-powered but the handling easily makes up for that. I had a Cooper S a couple of years back and regret changing it. Go for it!

#12 ·
... and the automatics (even moreso).

Besides gearbox issues, most 2002s still on the road will have already
had any major issues sorted out, but you're still faced with the fact that
certain parts will need attention every so many years just like any
other 2002 era automobile.

#9 ·
I recently just bought a 2002 Cooper a month ago. Had a few problems. Had to get my battery changed which isn't the worry. But I did have to change my radiator at 115,00. Seems to b the biggest thing apart from brakes/brake lines and ball joints over the mot history which are not uncommon. Just hope that's it for me, I love this wee car and would hate to get rid of it.

#10 ·
I have a 2003 MCS and have had no major problems at all with it apart from the usual wear & tear items on a an 11 year old car with 75k miles on the clock.

The only items other than wear & tear that I have had to replace are:

Rear windscreen wiper motor......which is a pain as BMW modded the motor later on and you have to buy a conversion kit to fit the newer type motor.

Passenger side door lock actuator after it failed to unlock electrically.

Coolant header tank following leaking around the seam.

All jobs are relatively easy DIY tasks.

I personally wouldn't have any quarms about buying a gen 1 MINI provided it is in good condition; (check underneath as they can show signs of rusting of the floor and suspension) and has a full service history.

#11 ·
Snap! (although my car is a 2004)
I bought my car last year as a project/ weekend runabout and got it at a fair price, however, it came with its problems which I used as a bargaining tool seeing as it was a private sale

Since I've owned it I've carried out the following:
Full service including a new pollen filter
Disks/ pads all round
N/S/F ABS sensor
Both front hubs/ wheel bearings replaced
Passenger side door actuator replaced
Reverse light switch replaced
O/S drop link
N/S track rod end
Exhaust hanger replaced at rear silencer box
De rusted the drivers door lock over a period of time with WD40
Stripped and cleaned boot/ trunk switch
Renewed and upgraded the Trico rear wiper motor for the Valeo one and as above I had to buy the conversion kit from BMW

The car has just turned 90k and the gearbox is the original Midland box as it's just before the change and it's still nice and tight. All I have left to do to the car to make it perfect is have the wheels re powder coated and have the rear bumper resprayed

In terms of reliability, its just as reliable as any other car I've owned and if looked after and maintained the mini should serve you well. I'm fortunate enough to do all my own servicing/ repairs and I always use top quality or OEM parts when possible

#15 ·
I bought a 52 plate Mini Cooper early December, I am 53 and can honestly say it’s the nicest car I have ever driven, I am totally hooked on minis now, it’s done 110,000 miles and looks like a new car as in nearly perfect condition. I would recommend a mini to anyone and have numerous friends with minis and they all love them too.

#16 ·
I've got a 2007 Copper Convertible - I absolutely love it, but it's been very unreliable and I've spent a lot on it... New radiator fan, new power steering pump, oil leak from CV joints, airbag sensor plain up, also has an ECU problem but that's probably because I bought a pup. More faults in 6 months than my Kia in 6 years (and they were all consumables..).

#17 ·
I got my all black 51 plate Mini Cooper, Full Chilli Pack, Z3 Suspension new on the 19th Jan 2002 (had to wait and extra three months for an all black paint job) I've had her for 20 years now. I love her totally. Kids grew up in her, two dogs born and passed (onto our third). Ok so I've obviously had some work done to her over the years but she has been the most reliable car I've ever had. Right now she's still on her original gear box, clutch, suspension and engine at 168,000 miles. She's off soon to get her suspension changed, engine rebuilt, full paint job, cat back exhaust, MSW wheels, all bushes changed etc. My only problem right now is finding an aftermarket rear and front bumper (damaged thanks to idiot third party drivers) that will fit and suit her. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them.

#18 ·
I have an ‘04 cvt with 117k miles I bought a few years ago from a friend who bought it from his neighbor, who was the original owner. Has all service records and besides regular maintenance, the major repairs were replacing the cvt with a rebuilt unit and a motor mount, both known issues at this many miles. The only electrical issues are with the radio (CD player recently stopped and the volume knob doesn’t always work, but steering wheel controls work fine). No electrical gremlins, no reliability issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.