MINI Cooper Forum banner

run flat sensor part number?

15K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  johnnynewsround 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the runflat sensor part number for first gen early minis? My light is stuck on (therefore its broke, cant reset, cant press button, its orange all the tmie) I have taken the part off only to find all the numbers are not part numbers.

Is this part still available? Anyone ever buy one?

It must be this (numbered 1):
RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper EWS CONTROL UNIT/TR MODULE/SUPPORT

(1)

But cant be sure?

Can anyone help?

#2 ·
Wow didn't even know the cars had one of those. Where is that located??

My R50 2002 Mini Cooper had nothing of the sort. The runflat system worked off the wheel spin sensors. And if one of those was to fail then my traction control would cut in when taking off even slowly and the speedo wouldnt work (found out the hard way after a mechanic got some maintenance work a little wrong).

The manunal has the reset procedure. Make sure your pressures are set, follow the procedure, works every time.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I hope you didnt get ripped off because your car has a runflat sensor if its 2002. Its in offside behind light, wheel spin sensors sounds made up. If you mean it uses the ABS sensor to detect the spin rate and if one is slower because it has less air, its something like that, but not on your car, thats on later ones. But wheel spin sensors would be traction control anyway......

As I said in my post its broke, And since I also said I have just taken it off,

anyone replaced or have part number for this? Im wondering if a new one will work going back on, or if itll just ignore it or need some sort of ECU RESET

Well its definitely not that
Not sure as I have it in my hand and it looks identical. It also says dunlop on it....

#3 ·
....It must be this (numbered 1)....But cant be sure?
Well its definitely not that, which appears to be part of the vehicle immobilization system, with the ring antennae pictured probably used for picking up the coded signals from the ignition key.

As has been said, the 'runflat' system sensor utilizes the part of the ABS system computer to count each tyres revolutions - a flat tyre {having a smaller diameter than the others} will have to rotate faster to keep up with the others - thus triggering the warning system.

Check the reset procedures again by the book before taking anything else apart ;)

#6 ·
Well its definitely not that, which appears to be part of the vehicle immobilization system, with the ring antennae pictured probably used for picking up the coded signals from the ignition key.
YUP ... EWS is the acronym for Electronische Wegfahr Sperre which, roughly translated, means Electronic Drive Away Protection.

As has been said, the 'runflat' system sensor utilizes the part of the ABS system computer to count each tyres revolutions - a flat tyre {having a smaller diameter than the others} will have to rotate faster to keep up with the others - thus triggering the warning system.
True again ... except in those markets (eg. US) which now use direct tire pressure monitoring via sensors inside the wheels.

#7 ·
If the runflat sensor is out, the ABS light will be on as well. If you have traction control, that light will be on as well.
Yes it is the ABS pulse generator (wheel spin sensor) that senses low tire pressure by increased rotation in the flatter tire on the early MINIs.
Part # 2 here ($130 each, ouch!) p.n. 34526756384
RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper Front Spring strut/Carrier/Wheel bearing
Part # 15 here in the back ($154 each, ouch!) p.n. 34526756385
RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper Rr axle support, wheel susp.,whl bearing

Fortunately, usually, only one goes bad at a time - usually a front one.
Unfortunately, it's a little difficult to tell which one is bad - although the dealer can scan for this - nothing shows up on a regular OBD II scan tool, though
can be figured out with a multimeter and some ingenuity, or very easily with an oscilloscope.

#8 ·
"If you mean it uses the ABS sensor to detect the spin rate and if one is slower because it has less air, its something like that, but not on your car, thats on later ones."
- Yup that's what I'm saying. And yup my 02 Cooper definitely had it. And I copped a couple of punctures over the years to test it too. Worked like a charm.

"Not sure as I have it in my hand and it looks identical. It also says dunlop on it...."
- Would love to see it. I'm actually curious what it is. Photos of the item, and the location on your car would be awesome. A query like that on another forum discovered a tricky little sensor on the passenger seat in a Z3 to disarm the seatbelt pretensioner if no one was sitting in it.

"True again ... except in those markets (eg. US) which now use direct tire pressure monitoring via sensors inside the wheels."
- These look awesome. there are a few aftermarket kits I'm def interested in.

#10 ·
If the ABS or DSC light doesn't come on, then you're right, it's not a (ABS) wheel spin sensor.
It would then likely be the module that controls the runflat light with input from the ABS sensor.
Not sure if that's integral to the ABS/DSC control unit or a separate module (if so, it's not listed in realoem),
but it's diagrammed in my Bentley "Diagnosis without Guesswork" book at home - will take a look later today when I can.
Could also be wiring anywhere along the path. The ABS sensors fail fairly commonly, but I haven't heard of the module
failing before, so I was assuming the likely fault.
What's the build month/year for your R50 - just so we're all on the same page.

#11 ·
Back with the book in hand.

Early MINIs until 3/2002 have a separate RDW control module (RDW = tire pressure monitoring)
(part number 61 35 6 801 252 is pictured, but I can't verify that part number in realoem, etc.),
located in the right rear quarter panel, and in MINIs after 3/2002 ,
the RDW function is integrated in the ABS or ABS/DCS control module, located in the rear engine
compartment cowl area.

Hope it's not the ABS control module, as they're pretty pricey (1700-2100 for the whole unit , 700-1100 for the repair kit,
ABS is cheaper than ABS/DSC)

It could even be something as simple as a faulty reset switch.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Damn right they exist, see he believes.

I think its the sensor, I think most people just leave it and leave light faulty. I cant really test the switch now can I, without buying one. Buy a switch first, then the sensor. But I dont think they make the sensor anymore...Id be happy if I could just get the light off...but that doesnt seem possible. Its not listed on its own, on the fusebox?

#18 ·
No wonder these parts are hard to track down.
Variously called RDW, DWS, RPA, flat tire monitor,
part number 36116801252, but 61356801252 on the unit
(#7 on this page): RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper BODY CONTROL UNITS AND MODULS
The price doesn't surprise me, but it's a lot cheaper than a new ABS control unit like the post-3/2002 MINIs use for this function.
I'd want to know that the module is the actual problem before swapping a new one in, and, after all,
it's not really a function you can't easily live without.

BTW, have you tried cleaning the contacts and connectors for the control unit and the switch under the handbrake
just in case it was a bad connection?

#19 ·
No I havent, I will try that. Something that makes me wonder is I do have the water leak coming in the car both sides, via windows or somewhere (which I cannot cure) and I know they make a cover for the BC1 so maybe that is at fault, but I do NOT think this is the case because the car has no other electrical faults (touch wood).

I will try cleaning those contacts, getting the cover the BC1, checking the switch, maybe get a new switch. I cant ever see me paying that much for something like that, especially when I want to replace the wheels, its a bit pricey, but that light on and having fault isnt great.

Hopefully some cleaning will work but not sure as not had much luck with MINI so far :p

#20 ·
Update

Ive now had this diagnosed and was told it is one of the front tyres either the "run flat sensor" has fell off or broke or each wheel is set to sit on certain place and that one is meant to be elsewhere? He was unsure which. But apparently they have a sensor behind the valve? anyone had any experience of this? Because only option is dealer now because most garages wont have a clue I dont think. Anyone know if it has sensors behind the valves as well? So within the tyre I guess?

#21 ·
I wouldn't say that it has been diagnosed - more like looked at and a few wild guesses.
On the first gen MINIs the ABS sensor is the run flat sensor. It fits into the each hub and
has a wire running to it.
The 2nd gen MINIs use a wireless pressure sensor on the inside of the valve/tire.
As you said it's an R50 that would mean a first gen MIN CooperI. If it's a 2007 or later cooper,
then it's an R56 (2nd gen) MINI Cooper.

#23 ·
thanks cristo, but this has been said before, but if you look over the post, the first gens 01-02ish dont appear to use abs sensors, they have a runflat sensor on the drivers back wheel side. Its located inside the wheel arch. They then scrapped this and used abs sensor it seems, maybe my auto electrician guessed, I'm not sure. Problem is he said it is saying its an issue on the front, either flat or sensor broke. But there is no sensor there, I'm not even sure my car has ABS too, but it definitely has a sensor in the back (as pictured in the forum) so maybe it has both? The problem is so few people seem to know it actually has the runflat sensor itself in the back because its not on many models.

All I can do I guess is go to bmw dealer and see if they can shed any light on it, but I have the feeling they won't know exactly as its quite rare it seems. I have already replaced the switch and tried another runflat sensor (albeit second hand).

#26 ·
Hi, here is is quick work around if the tyre pressure warning light is on, and will not reset:
1) Remove the instrument cluster, follow the instructions on YouTube. Watch out for two torx screws hidden at the top by the dimmer and hazard switches.
2) Clip off the clear plastic window and black plastic cover.
3) Cut a piece of insulation tape approx 1cm square.
4) Flex the dial away from the white plastic housing, using tweezers position the insulation tape over the pocket containing the offending led and squeeze together.
5) Reassemble.
Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.