MINI Cooper Forum banner

Should i buy a Mini Cooper r50

28K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  ilovecables 
#1 ·
Hi All
I am thinking about buying a used Mini Cooper r50 but i'm worried about extra expenses such as parts, services(do i have to go to BMW) I currently have a SEAT Cordoba and have just spent a whole day trying to get replacement locks and actuators for which is really hard as SEAT dealership closed down in Australia in 1999 so the wreckers is the only option as its a 1995...so i'm thinking about a car that would be newer therefore more reliable and easier to get parts for....but i am on very low funds so wanted to know if i'm going to have to save a month before i can fix anything that goes wrong as it is a BMW after all....how about aftermarket parts....i would go for a cheaper car but i like having a car that is a bit different....are the Mini cooper r50's faulty in anyway....have any of you bought a used one with about 160,000 or 110,000km on it...Please help its a big choice to make and i'm stuck. Thank you for any advice you can share

#2 ·
Hi,

I really think this is an impossible question to answer, any car you buy second hand depending on how old if no manufacturer warranty remains could have issues, there are a number of factors to be considered, where you are buying? private sale or dealer? does it have full service history? was it serviced from a main dealer? how many previous owners? i really could go on and on here , also an engine can have problems with the way a previous owner drove the vehicle like clutch or gearbox. I have yet to hear of any car that is problem free.

For a car out of warranty there is no need to use original manufacturer parts but as i have found out with my Mini sometimes the original price for the part is not far from what some people are asking second hand! so always shop around, get original manufacturer price first then see what you can get it at elsewhere. For example i was searching for a door actuator for my Mini, ebay and other sources were asking about 69 pounds ( $108.56 ) and this was for a 5-6 year old part!!! brand new from Mini it cost me 89 pounds ( $140.02 ) i have also found this with other parts i have bought.

Just take your time and always spend within your budget and have some spare just incase! Don't spend your limit and then your stuck! Also if you buy from a dealer with extended warranty always read the small print as most are not worth the paper its printed on!

Good luck :)

#3 ·
I love my R50. It has 50K miles on it and is a 2003. I haven't had too many problems with it other than some minor things to fix and a tune. I bought it for just under $12,000US. Mine has a CVT, but hasn't had any issues yet, I also plan on maintenance is regularly so I don't have problems.

I'd say it depends on the car. Some second owned cars are amazing and have little to no problems and some are lemons. Depending on year, mileage, how hard its been driving and if its been taken care of well. I would take your due diligence with your test drive and really test it a bit to make sure it preforms to your own standards.

I hope you find a MINI you'll love! :biggrin:

#7 ·
Shall I buy a cooper R50

I hope you do, and everyone says its the right thing to do... I bought one yesterday!

2003 cooper in silver, 17 inch 8 spoke and 61k.
Dual air con and cruise control.
Hope to pick it up next weekend once all the paperwork etc is complete.

#11 ·
A Different opinion

I have a 2005 Cooper with CVT that I bought new and have driven to close to 70K km and no problems. I have had ALL the service done by BMW and they have given excellent service. The total cost of all service less gas is $4,200 for nearly seven years ($600 per year). The car acts and looks like new and I would be more inclined to say "Yes" buy the r50 if it looks well cared for and you enjoy what you see. As to the CVT it come with paddles, lots of fun, with one exception, my wife loves it so I seldom get to drive.........sob

#10 ·
I bought a 2004 R50 in january this year ... NO REGRETS THIS CAR IS MY LIFE however i'll be honest with you we had to do a $5000 repair in april with bmw. Lucky for me my Father paid (im only 18 car was a gift for my 18th... i pay for all my after market extras though haha)

They replaced power steering pump/fan, alternator, battery and some cables. In future we won't be going to bmw for fixes they rip you off hard but oh well. (lets hope there isn't too many more dramas anyway haha) THIS REPLACEMENT IS COMMON THOUGH I seen it on this site when i was researching about what happened to mine. occured at around 65,000kms i think.

#14 · (Edited)
I've just purchased a 2002 R50 with 167000 km on the clock, the car was written off due to hail damage in 2010. Roof was repaired but could have had a better job done, Power steering Cooling fan was shot (replaced in 10 mins, parts were A$235.00), new power steering pump purchased for A$800.00, yet to be fitted (pump does cut out once hot but I believe its due to incorrect power steering fluid). Hope to find time to flush the power steering fluid this weekend to see if the original pump will work so I can keep the replacement as a backup. Aftermarket mag wheels and good tyres. Drives nicely with no issues with the clutch or gear box. Intend to change oil filter and engine oil as well as gearbox oil and plugs etc. in the coming weekend. For a 12 year old car its in very good condition and passed its roadworthy with no issues.

Why I purchased it ? I was aware of it being written off after doing a search on the car with Vicroads, researched possible common problems with the car (power steering etc.), bargained the price down to close to its market value as per redbook / Insurance replacement value. Im comfortable doing most of my own repairs where possible.

Regarding the power steering pump, I was quoted A$2000 to replace and fit both fan and pump by a BMW repair centre. Fan took 10 mins as previously stated, Pump should take no more than 50 mins to replace and bleed so I have no intention of paying A$1000 for an hours labour!

Power steering fluid is Pennzoil LDAS which is a replacement for the CHF 11S fluid and at around A$30.00 a litre.

The power steering heating up is an issue ! but how many do a periodic check on the cooling fan ? how many hold the power steering on full lock for extended periods ? how many use normal power steering fluid to top off the reservoir (as its cheaper)?

Also, the power steering whine on the R50 is normal and if it isn't there, you have a problem.

Just my reasons why I purchased a second hand R50 and what I have researched prior to purchase.

This is the 1st car I have owned in over 35 years that I have had any passion about and its my second Mini ( 1st was an 850 morris many years ago).

Just to add, RACV insurance value the car at A$6000.00 for insurance for a 2002 R50 cooper so use this as a guideline for what you intend to pay for your car regardless of the KM its travelled unless your happy to pay a higher premium for agreed value.

I talked my purchase down from A$9000.00 to A$7300.00 .

This link should give you the redbook data for KM's, Trade in value and purchase price XXX.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2002-mini-cooper-r50-85803?R=85803&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=1&eapi=2

#16 ·
I just bought a 2006 R50 with a manual, 84,000 km on it. Paid CAD$9500 for it. Did a ton of reading before making the purchase, and also looked at a few other R50's. The one I bought was well cared for, and got a thumbs up from my mechanic. Currently my only beef is the Boost audio system sucks. The smile on my face every time I drive it will negate any repairs that will eventually come up. I say got for it. Life is too short to drive a car you don't like. The 1st gen Mini has a charm to it that got lost in the 2nd IMHO. The 3rd gen is plain ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.