Battery cable could start engine fire
Doing a routine check on my wife's '03 R50, I noticed that the positive battery cable that bolts onto the main positive battery cable was stripped of insulation (burned away) and was only covered with a layer of oxidation.
That cable runs from the +post down to below the battery box to who know where.
It probably powers all of the cars accessories while the main cable goes to starter?
Anyway, the burnt cable shows that the bolted connection to the battery post extension was poor, causing a drop in voltage and a peak in amperage that heated the insulation to the point it flaked off.
I tried to remove the battery box to investigate, but with no luck.
Removing the 3 bolts at the bottom of the box didn't release it so I gave up on that idea, especially since I couldn't remove the harness plugs from the electronic module attached to the box.
Hoping to insulate the cable from shorting out, I slid a rubber tube down its length for insulation, cleaned the bolted connection and reassembled everything.
I will bring the car in to the dealership and let them fix this ASAP.
Has anyone had a similar experience with their Mini?