MINI Cooper Forum banner

fan starts as soon as engine starts

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  4x4mini 
#1 ·
hello

new member so greetings and thank you in advance for any help

my son has a mini cooper 54 reg and recently had coolant issues,

first of all the fan kept coming on loud so assume it on speed 2, then once or twice ran on when engine switched off.

water level low so topped up and ran it, fan still on constant as soon as engine started

water leak on rad so added rad weld stuff for quick fix until fan issue sorted then new rad will be fitted.

i have replaced the thermostat, checked all fuses and checked the temp sensor on passenger side of head next to the thermostat.

swapped fan relays around inside and under bonnet

the sensor ranges on a volt meter are 8.44 when cold and drops to 1.95 when dropped in hot water so thats moving.

with sensor back in and engine running i unpluged sensor, fan continues to run temp gauge shoots up to red fan continues.

place snap on code reader no faults logged checked engine temp was at 82 yesterday after engine ran for 10 mins and never overheated.

placed it on this morning engine cold showing 21 engine temp fan kicked in as soon as started temp still on 21

looked at posts on fan resistor but havent found anything that relates to this issue all seem to say fan continues to run once car switched off.

any ideas please

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.