MINI Cooper Forum banner

overheating & and no heat

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Camnet 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 mini s & and im having overheating issues..
I have no Heat the water\ antifreeze seems to be boiling in the overflow tank & im loosing fluid but i dont know where its going.
the car starts fine & warm to the mid mark on the temp gauge, and stay there for about 5 min after starting but at some point somethings happening and in a matter of 1-2 min the temp gauge will spike all the way and you can hear it bubbling\boiling in the overflow..all the while heat never warming up inside the car. I have replaced the thermostat, but nothing changed & doesn't look like any leaking around thermostat housing..im new to minis and just trying to figure this out..

#2 ·
You cannot always see the thermostat housing leaking. Check with a pretty bright light and check thermo housing on driver side of engine. Then check water pump on driver side of supercharger. The oil cooler is under the oil filter housing, check for leaks. Does radiator fan come on? Does power steering fan come on. If fuse blown for power steering fan, radiator fan stops too ( usually from wading in too deep water). If no leaks present have system pressurized and look for drops ( put big piece of cardboard under car. If drops are on driver's side ( thermo housing ) usually. If overheated too many times an aluminum engine will destroy head due to heat warping, be careful.

#4 ·
thanks for the reply's, a friend & i looked at the car again today after the car warmed up a bid and didn't feel any water pressure or heat on rubber hosing going to rad, the ones that run along the top..makes me think water pump, also guess i should have mentioned on first post, when i first noticed the car few days ago starting to run warm a god awful sound was coming from the engine..i thought id blown it up! now i think it was the WP fan exploding.. luckly i was just few miles from home..parked it the next day went out & started it start fine with no sound & then it start clanking again then quickly when away and has not made the noise since..changed thrermo and tested around block but started to run warm so i parked it.. I found a euro mechanic shop close to my home. going to be in the low 50s in morning so im going to quickly run it about 4 miles up the road to his shop in the morning for a pressure test..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.