MINI Cooper Forum banner

2002 R50 cooper metallic noise at anything over idle

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Vitor Fernandes 
#1 ·
Hi all new to this site and looking for advice. I have been commuting the past 3 months around 90 miles a day in my 2002 Mini Cooper (just clicked over to 90k miles). I noticed the other day my radiator coolent was low so topped it up. I have today found a leak from lower off side corner of radiator. I have noticed the temperature gauge sitting just over the halfway mark for the past few weeks but it has never got hotter (possibly due to the cool air temps in Scotland at this time of year). So it looks like I'll be getting a new radiator.
The thing is there is a metallic rattle ( akin to a new Mercedes) on acceleration and it stays whilst driving at all speeds. Noise increases with revs. I have thought it may be the exhaust leaking but on inspection today it sounded like a rattle coming from the rocker cover could it have got a bit too wam and damaged the head? It's off to the garage tomorrow for MOT and service (and radiator now)so any heads up advice would be much appreciated cheers all and Merry Christmas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.