MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rattling noise

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Dylanbatt74 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 53 plate Mini Cooper 114,000 miles very clean and runs very. Well
I have however noticed a rattling type sound this does not happen when car idle or reving at standstill, but when I accelerate around 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm the noise occurs? Also the same on deceleration around same rpm

My first thought was gearbox, but now think this may be timing chain ?

Any ideas, help and advice would be greatly appreciated

#3 · (Edited)
Hi and thanks for the reply, it sounds engine Bay Area think I'm going to get some microphone or something under bonnet to try and record and narrow down, it's awkward because you can't hear at a standstill so having someone rev car while I look in engine bay , it's s bummer

I'm now driving with radio off heater off trying to find the bloody noise

#8 ·
Something else you could try is if the noise is something resonating at that specific RPM and you say you cant replicate it at a standstill by revving the engine that could be because the engine will resonate differently when under load i.e. in gear driving along, but you could try something that's has helped me numerous time in the past and that is in a place safe to do so put your hand brake on put it in first gear and here's the tricky bit with your toes of your right foot press the brake and your heal of your right foot fluctuating the throttle (you wont need to rev it hard) bring your left foot up off the clutch till it just starts to drag (not off as it will stall) and with a combination of throttle and adjusting the drag it puts the engine under load and quite often can reveal hard to find rattles.

Don't sit there all day doing this as it wont be good for the clutch but as a one off to help you locate the noise is fine.

#10 ·
Run to work today dip clutch when rattle started and noise stops release and it's there again, I'm now thinking thrust bearing?

The noise sounds like a bearing race with a ball missing , if you know what I mean

Think it's due a clutch so going to get a price to change anyway , any idea on cost to have done ?

#11 ·
Oh.... now you mention bearing and not rattle especial under load/drive it could be the start of the diff bearing going.

Dose it sound like a dry bearing being spun but louder?

I had to rebuild my in-laws girlfriends gearbox on her Mini last year not a hard job it looks harder than it really is.

can you alter the noise by altering the load via the throttle so it becomes louder the more load you put on it?

I doubt you will hear the thrust bearing while driving you really only hear that at idle while going on and off the clutch pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.