MINI Cooper Forum banner

Another Midland Bites The Dust x2.... Hybrid possible?

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Brava210 
#1 ·
Howdy... My Mini and a buddy of mine both have the infamous r65 midland trans. I luckily (or unluckily) bought mine with the trans out. He wasn't so lucky...(paid retail) a couple weeks out and his slides. I have a question on a hybrid...is it possible. I was figuring if possible to use 5th gear from preferably the Cirtroen Saxo VTR, 2nd Choice Peugeot. Would also like to use the final drive from the Rover Metro 3.50. Is this all possible? if it is in best case possible this Mini could be doing 70 at 2600rpm. ultimate goal is MPG. never had 5 gear yet but have gotten 45mpg in 4th doing 50-55mph. would like to see 50mpg in 5th doing 70mph.

#5 ·
Sorry if my American English is not understandable by y'all. I have read my post numerous times and haven't seen any confusion. Basically I am trying to regear my trans for more Mile Per Gallon or in other parts of the world Kilometers Per Liter. I do not however appreciate the rude comments, I alway thought forums were a place where knowledge could be shared as we are all on different levels of knowing a particular subject. SeanC, I don't know if owning over 68 cars in my 10 years of driving makes me a Car Enthusiast, Also don't know if owning various Sports Cars such as a Saleen Mustang or 300+ hp Pontiac Fiero, or 750+ Dodge Ram Cummins makes be a bad driver either. Mind you all the custom cars I've owned I have Built NOT BOUGHT. Snide remarks were not appreciated at all.

Now minione2002 I am trying to make a custom gearset if possible by mixing and matching different parts from the different lines of cars that use the R65 Midland Trans.

#9 ·
Since I have owned a Mini and browsed the various forums in regards to the Midlands gearbox, I have had no problem obtaining a full Rover workshop manual, found that one of the main reasons they fail is lack of maintenance (oil change), labouring the car in 5th gear putting a lot of pressure on the shafts (change down to 4th earlier) and driving the gearbox to hard, also not doing a smooth gear change but snatching it through the gears. Plenty of outlets for rebuild kits and or gearbox rebuilders at competitive prices. That being said I have noticed as many issues with all the Getrag gearboxes and to me, that indicates driving style more than anything.

#20 ·
I now understand the confusion. The car is a R50 the trans is a Midland R65U. What I am aspiring to do is make a Hyper Miler. I know that the Midland R65s have been used in a few cars noted the Rover, Citroen and Peugeot. What I am trying to do is hybrid the transmissions to make my revs lower at higher speed thus improving my fuel mileage. What I am needing to know is what parts would I have to use from what vehicles to make my transmission work.

The reasoning for mentioning the 68+ cars that I have owned previously is I do consider myself a car enthusiast. I buy less than desirable cars and make them into something that people want. Something with issues whether bodywork or drivetrain related. Think of it like the guys in Wheeler Dealer but one person instead of two. Everything I have owned I have put a personal touch whether asthetics or functionality. My current project is the 02 Mini and the function is comfort and fuel economy. I would like to have this thing be on par or better the 98-04 Golf TDI. Something that is cheaper than diesel but gets the mileage of it. I bought my Mini with 115K Miles on it and for 1500, caveat being the no fifth gear. Hope this can curb your ill remarks and bring light to this picture.

Thanks In Advance

#21 ·
I've never known anyone to modify a Midlands box in a MINI but that doesn't mean to say that it hasn't been done before!

In general people don't buy MINIS for their fuel economy, instead they buy them for the go-cart feel. If people want economy (like myself) then we buy diesel's but in saying all that, a lot of petrols or gas powered cars in your zip code are just as economical these days.

I can quite easily get 45mpg plus out of my 2004 R50 and that's a petrol (70 ish mpg out of my doopers) but I'm an advanced driver and have been taught to drive all vehicle types economically due to my line of work.

Good luck in your quest and if you do decide to go ahead with this idea then may I suggest you start a project thread? that way you will stand a better chance of getting positive input rather than getting slagged off! :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.