MINI Cooper Forum banner

Selling my Park Lane

6K views 83 replies 8 participants last post by  JohnnyC 
#1 ·
So it's a very sad day indeed. But I am having to sell my Mini Cooper Park Lane.

#10 ·
I will still be active on here. As I will be asking my mechanics questions as usual. The cars just become to costly for me to keep. I am going to look at some cars today and see what I can get. Thinking either German or Japanese cars. Any recommendations?

#20 ·
I vaguely remember something during the 90s, those times are just a blur now :D
Didn't some of the Rovers end up with Honda engines or something?
At least that's one good thing BMW did with the Mini, not to put in Rovers K-series engine ::smile::

That's true Jonny. Bet that MR2 was lovely. Will have a look. A two seater could be an option.
Yes, but prices have doubled since I sold mine 4 years ago. A decent one will cost you more than your Mini.
If you're really on a budget, get a Yaris or something ;)

#30 ·
No doubt I'll get ***** on here for this, but how about a Volvo C30 - diesel one and if possible an SE Lux? I looked at Golfs, sooo boring, and then saw a C30. Got a 2011 1.6 D2 SE Lux.
Very stylish, quite unusual. Not all that practical but interiors and controls are beautiful. I had loads of 'executive' (company) cars in the past, Beemers, Mercs, etc and the quality and feel of the cabin and controls in the Volvo is the best I've ever experienced. The SE Lux ones are incredibly well equipped, if you want goodies and convenience. The contols on my 2005 MCS R53 feel like the are from the stone age by comparison (but I love it!).
The diesels are quite quick and you can get them remapped (loads of providers) quite cheaply if you want some extra poke. Had mine done ages ago. Well pleased.
Very economical (on a 200 mile round trip I got 69mpg on the computer) and VED is very reasonable. Mine is zero.
Comfy, ride well. They are on a Ford Focus platform and I believe the smaller diesels are Pug.
I have no idea what your Park Lane is worth or what you are thinking/able to spend on your replacement. But here is a random example of a C30 2.0D SE Lux on Autotrader:
Volvo C30 2.0 D SE Lux 2dr
As long as they've been serviced miles shouldn't be a problem. Mine's just clocked 101k.

#32 ·
Even though they are cheaper (for a reason) I would avoid the petrols- unless you can run to a T5 which is an absolute rocket ship. And almost nobody knows what it is. 230bhp, 149mph, 0-60 6.2secs, VED £295. A lot of them are auto. Volvo call it Geartronic.
The other 'wolf in sheeps clothing' version is the D5, the diesel 5 cylinder. 178bhp, 140mph, 0-60 7.3secs, VED £185. It can be re-mapped to 222bhp and 340lb/ft torque @ 2,000rpm easily. That is a lorra usable torque. RICA list cost is £350+VAT. I only reference them because they do a really good chart that shows the difference to standard:
Chiptuning | Rica Engineering Chiptuning
My re-map is a Viezu.
People get a bit hooked up on the R-Design thing. It doesn't add much. They come with all black or white/black leather. The white/black does not wear well and often looks tacky when older. An SE Lux is way better equipped.

Attachments

#40 ·
If your looking at getting back on your feet (been there myself) then if I were you then I'd be looking in the opposite direction of what the boy racers are driving and my objective would be to buy something that's cheap to run and cheap to insure and looks wouldn't come in to it. A cheap car that instantly springs to mind is the Kia Picanto. Its certainly not gonna win prizes on looks or performance but you will get good fuel economy and the insurance/ road tax will no doubt be cheap on it. If not the Kia then some other Jap car as they seem to be pretty reliable (engine wise) but like I say low budget Jap cars will never win prizes on looks but beggars can't be choosers and if you still want to have your freedom then you have to make compromises!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.