MINI Cooper Forum banner

First Gen BRG MINI Cooper WANTED with Low (<65K( Mileage?

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  NigelK 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone on MINI2 - I have read this forum for years but this is my first ever post. Please be kind :)

Basically I'm looking for a first generation MINI Cooper with a low mileage (under 65K) that's preferably British racing green with a white roof & wing-mirrors. From looking on eBay and Autotrader examples are either extremely rare to non-existent. Regular example cars that are road worthy are around £2000 for an INSANELY HIGH MILEAGE of well over 100K! And have dirty and very aged interiors. I found a BRG first generation low mileage (43,000) 2006 MINI for £5790, but it's not a Cooper and I don't like the roof colour. Also does this price seem fair for what I'm searching for?

So does anyone have any suggestions or cars for sale? I love the look of the first Generation Cooper and it drives so nicely. Before anyone asks, I don't want an S model - I prefer the feel of the Cooper. It's raw and flat out FUN!!!

Thanks in advance,

#3 ·
Hi Sean!

My heart is set on BRG with white roof. Whilst I know what you're saying makes sense. If I get a different colour I will know that it's not the one I truly wanted. The white roof is not definitive - just a preference.

Out of interest do you think these cars are already becoming classics? I notice that dealerships who have them and private sellers are charging £4000-£6000 for immaculate examples. That's about 2-3x more than a Golf of a similar spec & age. Just an observation.

#6 ·
Actually I have just stumbled upon a 2004 Cooper on eBay for £3999. It's BRG, a Cooper importantly, only 61,000 miles, white roof & wing-mirrors, chilli pack and looks like a brand new car inside & out!

I have enquired and am utterly in love with this example. Fingers crossed! For reference the eBay item number is 222407255843.

#5 ·
I personally think the R50 is fast becoming a classic and like brassd says keep looking and ye shall find!

There are good examples out there and tbh mileage on these cars isn't really a concern providing it's been maintained and service history is irrelevant too as it just show's its been serviced (thats all), All my car's have a stamped service history until I purchased them. I keep a digital log of every nut/ bolt/ washer and light bulb fitted to each of my vehicles with the mileage and date including costing and this beats any service history hands down as it shows the car has been maintained properly and not just stamped by a dealer once in a while! When I sell any of my cars the new owner gets the complete print out (with receipts where possible) and a digital copy of the file if they wish of the cars history in my ownership!

#7 ·
Very interesting regarding the R50 - it seems like a good investment as well as good fun! I have found a very likely candidate on eBay of a R50 with near dream spec I had in mind. Item number: 222407255843

I completely agree with you regarding service history - a car having all the receipts, etc for work done and proper documentation proof means something. But your way of doing things sounds so meticulous that it would definitely please people like me with mild OCD :)

#8 ·
Yeah I do think the R50's are future investments hence why I retained mine rather than sell it when I bought the second Clubman. I used to work in the engineering department at my work and every vehicle had it's own file with everything detailed on what had been done and when so I adopted this to method to my own fleet and it's great because you can keep track of what's been done and when!

The car in the link looks great but it's also a tad high in price and lacks air con. Its the same year as mine and just before the change to the facelift model!

#9 · (Edited)
I have asked about the price, but note that similar spec low mileage R50 MINI Cooper models I have seen in different colours have sold for more - so I doubt the seller will be too happy to discuss. Air con isn't really a concern for me, I think I would reach for it 2-3 times a year in the UK :)

I'll update you on what happens...

#10 ·
Good luck MINI. Agree with Sean about mileage. Not the end all. History. And look at the MOT history here https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ need the reg (blanked out in pics, I always wonder why folk do that?)
Does it say what year it is? Old and feeble, maybe I missed it.
How long have they owned it? Is it their car or one bought to sell on?
OK, so they've spent on two of the very important things that go wrong - what else over time? Bit surprised about clutch in 2014? At what mileage? Why? Ragged? My MCS has original clutch at 98,000 miles. It's fine.
The Cooper looks very nice.
Is it a long way from you? PLEASE don't buy it (or any car) without going to look at it!!
I wanted BRG/White but had to compromise with BRG/Black. Yup the BRG ones are hard to find. Eventually found mine 8 miles away, private seller. Good history. 97,000 miles. No problem.
Pics show why I wanted BRG/white.
And I keep all the history/spend for my cars in an Excel spreadsheet (and key in all the previuos history I get with a car). Have done for years. When selling, it's one thing to be trying to decipher a whole heap of invoices and easier for the buyer to svan a 2 page or so printed spreadsheet.

Attachments

#12 ·
Good luck MINI. Agree with Sean about mileage. Not the end all. History. And look at the MOT history here need the reg (blanked out in pics, I always wonder why folk do that?)
Does it say what year it is? Old and feeble, maybe I missed it.
How long have they owned it? Is it their car or one bought to sell on?
OK, so they've spent on two of the very important things that go wrong - what else over time? Bit surprised about clutch in 2014? At what mileage? Why? Ragged? My MCS has original clutch at 98,000 miles. It's fine.
The Cooper looks very nice.
Is it a long way from you? PLEASE don't buy it (or any car) without going to look at it!!
I wanted BRG/White but had to compromise with BRG/Black. Yup the BRG ones are hard to find. Eventually found mine 8 miles away, private seller. Good history. 97,000 miles. No problem.
Pics show why I wanted BRG/white.
I have contacted the seller about the reg and now have it. I checked it via the website you mentioned and there seems nothing to be worried about regarding history, etc. The car failed its MOT last year on a windscreen wiper and fuel cap seal ring and then passed after these were amended. I've also been sent more interior photos - the car really does look like new! And a few images of the stack of documents the seller has - which include every invoice and MOT/ service receipt. They've had the car for 6 years and it's still in use. Is it just me or do others like to hear a car is in use instead of being sat on a forcourt?

The only downside is that the MINI is so far away from me. But it's literally my dream car!! If I purchase the car on a credit card and get it delivered which the seller is offering for free. Wouldn't I be protected in case something went wrong?

Lovely MINI first gen you have !!

#13 ·
MINI124, The classic Cooper is actually my sons. It is IMMACULATE. That is a 'before' pic, when bought. Rotten as a pear then. They match! I love the BRG. Looks grown up.

That all sounds likes it's 'passed' the checks I suggested with flying colours.
Owned 6 years - excellent.
No grievous MOT failure history - excellent.
Stack of bills/invoices - excellent.
Did it have dealer history in it's youth? Service book stamps?
Retro fit hooked flat wipers on it - excellent. Brain and care displayed.
Clutch done - excellent
Power steering pump done - excellent.
Driver’s door lock actuator done - excellent.
Hasn't been messed about with/duded up with aftermarket 'styling' bits - e.g. stubby aerial, stripes, silly lights - excellent.
Yes much, much better being used by the 6 year owner than sat on a squealers forecourt. Plus most squealers would probably have binned or lost that lovely stack of invoices and history.
The owners obviously really care for it.
A lot of people sell them because there is the patter of tiny feet. Useless with a small baby.

If I were you, and it seems to be the rare colour you really want, I'd go for it.
May I ask roughly where you are? And roughly (so no-one else tries to poach it!!) where it is, how far from you?
Try and go there with £3,500 in cash in your pocket. Worked in the past for me!
The owner obviously can't count "4 spoke alloy wheels". Ummmm. 5 actually.
Good luck.

#14 ·
Agree with Sean about the asking price of £3,995. It is very steep - at least £1,000 to much. Especially as it's not a face-lift.
Now had a chance to look on Autotrader. Filtered by:

Cooper manual
Up to 2006
BRG
Less than 70,000
Trade or private
National

There are only 7.
3 x 2006 face-lifts - £3,159, £2,795, £2,750.
Trader in Peterborough, 65,000, asking £2,990. In pics it has £3,995 in the window. It's a 55 plate 2005, so a late face-lift.
Another 55 reg 2005 face-lift 61,500, at £2,400, private.
2002 68,000 only £1,690, trader.

Presume you have done research on prices?
You may need to be patient. You may need to travel. You do not need to pay that money for a 2004, pre-facelift car with sensible miles.

#16 ·
I've been researching for months and have most likely seen all cars mentioned. As previously stated I really want a white roof, chilli pack and actually I prefer the look of the pre face lift - but that isn't a firm position. The chrome detail is more striking on the pre facelift, which I admire. Many of the MINI Cooper models I've seen of the first gen in person and online are scruffy inside and lack historical data of work carried out, etc. I have found a few which have the right criteria to a certain extent and then find out the PAS hasn't been replaced yet or as one dealer said 'there's intermittent electrical faults, which we don't understand'. The MINI first gens in the same condition that have been cared for as the one I've found on eBay are around the same £4000 price point. In fact I did enquire about a local Cooper in January - which had done shy of 25,000 miles if I remember correctly, could have been lower. I was told it had sold for £6200, which was asking price and I was hoping to knock them down if they hadn't sold :)

I have to agree with the other members on this thread that believe this will be a collectible. I'm looking at it as an investment. As luck would happen the eBay MINI appeared after I posted onto this forum. But it's been really helpful getting all the advice! I will be going for a viewing in 10 days and hopefully driving home with my dream car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.