MINI Cooper Forum banner

correct temp?

62K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  BennieXMini 
#1 ·
so I have a new to me 2002 mini cooper. It has the gps so it does not have a temp guage only the dummy light which I have never seen. Being myself I wanted to know the temps. So I installed a obd guage, and it is hot here in my neck of the woods, over 100 degrees. The car seems to run around 215 F to a max of 221f. Does this sound no normal?

#3 · (Edited)
Those are quite high design running temps, but I suppose that's what happens when economy becomes such an important thing. The fact the high speed of the fan comes on at 112C means it will get that high under normal operating conditions. How close to blowing the head gasket is it and a smaller margin for error?

I'd want a thermostat opening at no more than 90C and lower fan-on temps. I'd probably wire the fan to come on full speed at 105C. Will look at how easy it is to do now on our fan.

OP, your temps are between 1st and 2nd fan speeds (thanks Milpol), so sounds OK for how hot it is where your secret loctation is.

OK, just checked the manual for our R56, stat starts opening at 82C, sooooooo?

#4 ·
If you access the temp setting in the instrument cluster before you start the engine, you can watch the temp fluctuation from when the thermostat opens and closes.

For 2002-2006 R50 Cooper and R53 Cooper S Hatchbacks, and 2005-2008 R52
Cooper and Cooper S Convertibles...

1. With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the
odometer reset button with one hand.
2. While holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1 (first
click) with the other hand. The screen will have a number and the word “TEST”.
3. Scroll through the numbers by pressing the odometer rest button, through to 19
and wait a moment. (Note: the number order is: 1,2,10,19)
4. The message will say 19 "L i-off", flash to "L i-on", and back to "L i-off" again.
When "log i-off" appears, press the odometer rest button again.
5. You are now in the system.
6. Scroll through to 7.0 Actual coolant temp.

Start the engine and go for a drive and you will see the Temp fluctuation as the thermostat opens and closes. Your thermostat should start to open at around 90.5 C

Don't forget, if your in traffic or at very low speed, you will have heat soak due to lack of sufficient air flow over the engine, on open roads at highway speed, normal airflow should be sufficient to cool the fluid in the radiator and again you wil see the thermostat open and close as required to keep the engine at its optimum operating temp.

Now, just to add to the confusion, the ECM activates the high speed radiator cooling fan at 122C / 251F which also activates the EHPS cooling fan (if fitted).

The Bentley manual does have conflicting info but you should be able to see where the average temp range is.

#5 ·
Slim Jim, I'm in Australia so we do get very hot days and also very cold days :) don't forget, you have the Prince engine and not the Tritec so the operating temps will be different as will be the thermostat opening temps. Unfortunately, testing of the Mini cooling system is done by a pressure test and neither the Bentley, Haynes manuals or the BMW TIS give the opening and fully open temps for the thermostat. It is frustrating but then again, how many would access the diagnostic on the instrument cluster or have a thermometer to gauge the water temp in a saucepan when checking a thermostat. Another issue with temp gauges of any design is at what measurement is the graduation shown. A lot will show a long curve to operating temp but a short distance to overheating but no actual graduation measurement from operating temp to overheat so that short measurement is misleading when you consider the markings from cold to operating temps. A friend of mine owns a radiator and AC service and explained this to me when I had concerns about how fast the temp went from operating to overheat and without a calibrated gauge its very misleading. The manufacturers temp range on the actual thermostat will be your best guide and again will have a +/- variance of a few percent. Critical is the coolant condition and the correct mix of coolant and water to allow optimal temps to be obtained. Its a royal pain in the Bum but sadly a sign of the times with todays cars and computerisation. :)

#19 ·
nicely explained i
Slim Jim, I'm in Australia so we do get very hot days and also very cold days :) don't forget, you have the Prince engine and not the Tritec so the operating temps will be different as will be the thermostat opening temps. Unfortunately, testing of the Mini cooling system is done by a pressure test and neither the Bentley, Haynes manuals or the BMW TIS give the opening and fully open temps for the thermostat. It is frustrating but then again, how many would access the diagnostic on the instrument cluster or have a thermometer to gauge the water temp in a saucepan when checking a thermostat. Another issue with temp gauges of any design is at what measurement is the graduation shown. A lot will show a long curve to operating temp but a short distance to overheating but no actual graduation measurement from operating temp to overheat so that short measurement is misleading when you consider the markings from cold to operating temps. A friend of mine owns a radiator and AC service and explained this to me when I had concerns about how fast the temp went from operating to overheat and without a calibrated gauge its very misleading. The manufacturers temp range on the actual thermostat will be your best guide and again will have a +/- variance of a few percent. Critical is the coolant condition and the correct mix of coolant and water to allow optimal temps to be obtained. Its a royal pain in the Bum but sadly a sign of the times with todays cars and computerisation. :)
ty

#6 ·
OK, had to do a quick shop for the household, outside air temp 10C/50F. Warmed the car up and took the long way to the store, coolant cycled between 88C/190F and 96C/204F as the thermostat opened and closed. Car sat for 20 mins, outside air temp at 11.5C/52.7F, drove the long way home, coolant now cycles between 90C/194F and 97C/206.6F so even at these low temps you can see a variance. Car never exceeded 60Kph in suburban traffic so minimal airflow through the grill.

#7 · (Edited)
Very useful and interesting info. I think you've answered the OP.

I think if I had any tuning on a MINI, I'd do something to try and reduce the operating temp.

Just looked up the fan speeds for my old integrale. Slow = 86 - 90 C, Fast = 90 - 94 C that's more like it, although they were made with one aim, fast in any conditions and to enable Lancia to compete.

#8 ·
well I am set for wed to have the coolant flushed and new thermostat installed just for good measure as when I first got it and opened the radiator cap there was signs of stop leak in it. No current leaks but signs that it was leaking around the thermostat. One other question, today it was 114 degrees, my son drove it for awhile and when he got back the fan came on and stayed on for like 3 to 5 minutes after turning off the car, normal?

#9 ·
If the car has been in very slow traffic for an extended period in hot weather, the fan will run after the car is turned off to protect the engine. Due to heat soak and no running water pump, the engine will continue to build up heat so the ECU monitors the temp sensor. As the temp is rising the ECU will activate the fan to cool the radiator contents which will by convection, circulate through the engine until the temperature drops to an acceptable level. My car has run upto 5min on 38C days after being in traffic for an extended period.

The thing you have only just mentioned is that there are signs Stop Leak has been used, this will certainly mess up your cooling circuit and is a PITA to remove, you will need to have the radiator pressure flushed, engine block pressure flushed and even the heater unit flushed, this cruddy product is difficult to remove from the system and should never have been introduced on the market.

#12 ·
Milpol, I tried your procedure to watch the temp in my car today. Bit of finger trouble before I got it set up but brillianrt when you do. My HS fan seems to hardly ever run. Even after thrashing it round the Top Gear track, by the time I got back in the 'queue' to wait to go around again - no fans running. All the R56 turbo Ss were sat there parked up near me with their fans hammering away.

So I'm wondering if my stat is not closing properly?

Here's what I got (all in C) on my run:
Ambient was 19.5ºC on car display
Before starting showed 21ºC
Aircon switched off
Country roads, free flowing traffic
When heated up, going 30-50mph, it remained 89ºC to 91ºC, mostly on 90ºC, very steady
Open bit of road, I ragged it and it rose steadily to max of 96ºC
Parked up in the sun, left it running and it climbed steadily up to 100ºC and to 112ºC when the fast fan engaged and it dropped back quickly
As soon as I set off it went back wthin less than half a mile to 90ºC

Is that normal? From what I've read in this thread the 'steady state' at 90ºC seems a bit low?

#13 ·
I would say its OK Nigel, the big clue on mine as its now mid winter here is that the bloody heater is working LOL. You will see it cycle when you have the instrument in diagnostic mode so it would fluctuate around 8C as the stat opens and closes. On a summers day and especially in traffic where its over 34C my fan can run for upto 5 mins after I turn it off.

#16 ·
I have the N16 engine, not sure about the N14 & N18 but I have no Oil pressure or oil temperature sensors. Just a crappy low oil level sensor which by then you are 2 liters too late haha. Genuinely check my oil way more than i should. The coolant channels in the engine go all the way around the combustion chambers like most modern 4 cylinders so im not so worried about the oil temperatures or pressures coz i dont have a turbo. I live by my regular oil checking and £25 OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner & £4 Torque Pro on my android.

#17 ·
Hello guys, sorry for asking in this old post, but I just bought a mini R56 2013 with N16 engine, the car runs great and the temperature seems to work normal like you have mentioned in this post, also I replaced the thermosthat, but I notice that the vent fans runs so much time barely notice if the fan turn off, it is normal for mini that the fans works long time?
It is my first mini, again the car doesnt overheat and it is propertly bleeded.
thanks