Replacing O/S Door Cooper S '05 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Exterior > First Generation MINI Exterior

First Generation MINI Exterior
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
First Generation MINI Exterior 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:53 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Replacing O/S Door Cooper S '05

Hey,

Does anyone have any experience of replacing the full door?

I have damaged mine (but can get a replacement in the same colour but with no parts (glass, handles, electrics etc)

I am quite handy around a car but not sure if i am going to be biting off more than i can chew and it may be easier to buy a door with parts already or beat the panel and respray (150 - 200).

Would appreciate anyones thoughts on this

Cheers

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:19 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 10:20 PM
United Kingdom Male
Todays cars are much more accurately put together than say those of 20 years ago where you could find swopping doors, bonnets etc gave you problems with panel gaps and many bodies were lead loaded to fit the panel in question to give a correct gap all around.
Now bodies are built using laser measuring devices, so as long as the body hasnt suffered accident repairs in the past I would have thought another panel from an identical model would fit straight on without any alignment problems and especially cars like those of BMW tend to be more accurate than the cheaper brands.
Changing over the internals would be fairly straight forwards if youre at all diy handy, the only more difficult bit is setting the window up so it works correctly, the factory use special gap gauges and adjuster tools, but no doubt the same can be achieved with a little patience without?
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

To swap the door is easy 4 nuts on the hinges 2 torx bolts door stop one bolt on the electrical connector its just a bit fiddly and faffing around just takes a little time

put low adhesion masking tape on the edges if the doors and wing anywhere you think it might hit you don't want to chip your paint

park the car on flat isn ground use a trolly jack if you have one.
put a bit of wood and foam on it to stop any damage to the paint.
put the jack under the door to support it only.
draw round the washer under the nut so you have a rough guide where it need to be when you fit the new one.
have some one hold it while you remove the door stop, nuts on the hinges and electrical connector.
then slide the whole door away from the car.

only advice is make shore you have all the tools before starting to remove the window you can use a thin C spanner or and allen key torn sockets and a basic tool kit
make shore if you are getting a complete door i.e. handles looms locks make shore the spec is the same as yours i.e. if you have electric flooding and heated mirrors thats what you get.
or you will be in to swapping looms etc but thats not a biggie.

if you are getting a basic door nothing in it remove everything possible before removing the door from the car, as once its off you will have no electrical poet to operate the window for example

when refit the new door fit the connector and then just nip the nuts up then fit your door stop closes if you make shore you align you marks you put on before starting.
remove your door striker this will help you setting the panel gaps
slowly close the door make shore everything is clear, you may have to mess around a little to get the panel gaps spot on. once your happy refit and align th striker

reassemble the door leave the inner door panel off for the time being and check everything else is working
i would imagine you will need to re align the window glass so make shore when you close the door the window is down about half way or more

i use mashing tape for this put it along the top edge and front edge draw you 5mm from the top along the top of the glass and 3mm lines down the front edge

close the door bring the window up you need to set the window so that your 5mm line is inline with your gutter and the 3mm line is windscreen trim this can be a pain to get right. once that is correct make shore the window drops and clears the gutter when you open the door.
put a bit of paper in three or 4 location where the window will contact the door seal close the door and see if you can pull the paper out if it falls out you can adjust the window angle the bolts are located under the door its self move it in or out to suit, the window should not clamp it hard but be positive you should be able to pull the paper out.

hope this helps i am shore the rest you will see as you go, its an easy job but just lots of fiddly bits take loads of digital pics this will help you out.

any questions theres a test after this :-) anyway hope i got it all i might have missed something but i am shore someone will chim in take care enjoy and watch your fingers
Thanks for this post from:
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 11:15 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Thanks so much for your detailed response marque it definitely gives me more to start with and not make any mistakes! I have been offered a second hand door without the glass - do you know how that would change the fitting/installation?

Will my remote central locking fob work with the door? Anything else i should be aware of? Is the glass replacement easy?
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya no problem

Key fob will not be a problem, all the electrical signals are sent to the door from the car.

Just remove the glass before removing the door from the car, as I said above when you fit the glass you will have to set the glass position.

Like I said just make shore the options on the new door are the same as the one on your car, easy way just check all the plugs are the same no extra wires or plugs. then it's a straight swap if not you will have to swap the door loom but that's no biggie

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement