MINI Cooper Forum banner

Zenons Seem a Bit Dim

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  NigelK 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 2005 MCS which has Zenons. They don't seem very bright. It may be that they need adjusting up a bit. I've got a 2011 Volvo C30 with Zenons so I have a comparison. The C30's beams are a lot 'whiter'.
Do the the lenses or whatever need cleaning after a time? Apologies but I have never had a Zenon apart so I don't know understand the technology or how they are constructed/work inside. There is some chatter on a US forum called C30Crew about cleaning.
Any thoughts?
Incidentally, how do you adjust the headlight beams when they go up with the bonnet? Probably a dumb question.

#2 ·
Mine are 14 years old and certainly don't seem as bright as they were. Or maybe it's my eyes.

But... they can be adjusted to make them point higher. There are a couple of wheels on each that adjust the vertical and horizontal throw of the lights. This thread from another site has a picture:
Adjust height of facelift R53 xenon headlights - North American Motoring

#4 ·
Ha, found it. It's on volvoforums. Think it is relevant for all Zenons. Thread is titled "Brighton your headlamps, for free". It's good. Detailed pics.
Forum won't let me post a link as I haven't yet posted 15 times. Grrrrrr.
Not sure how to get an admin to maybe put it up. I'm sure loads of Minis out there have Zenons. Maybe it would make a useful sticky?

#5 ·
Ok. Then I'll try cutting and pasting the whole body of the post then!
Brighten your headlamps, for free!
People with S40's V50s C30s....I posted this years ago but seeing as though the nights have now drawn in and these headlights are still crappy.....

Your projector lenses are almost certainly dirty.
Look close and you will see they are covered with a milky film that reduces the light output.

You can easily take the lenses out and clean them... Improves brightness, spread of light and gives a much nicer sharp cutoff.

SIDE NOTE: If you're feeling fruity, you can replace those glass lenses with CLEAR glass lenses for maximum light and amazing cut off (notice the original lenses have a frosted effect). See below link:
Had to remove this link

As you know, you can remove the whole headlamp assembly just by removing a metal pin (looks like a tent peg) what an ingenious design by Volvo!. (Not sure how easy this is on a Mini).

Hopefully pics are attached. Probably not allowed to do that either.

Attachments

#7 ·
I replaced both dip and main with the MTECH Jap jobs - supposed to be 'whiter and brighter' and are cheap. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say. Not recommended.

So I've now just replaced both with proper well known brand as follows:
Dip: Osram D2S Xenrac Night Breaker Unlimited +70%
Main: Osram H7 Night Breaker Unlimited +110%

Much, much better. I can now see properly at night.
I suspect the Philips equivalents will be just as good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.