MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bluefin superchip review

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  r50NI 
#1 ·
Hi folks!
I bought an 02 mini one around 5 months ago and i absolutely love it! It has the 17" Cooper S wheels and I must say it glues to the road through the bends. However, going from a modded MK3 2.0GTI, the 90 bhp 1.6 engine leaves a lot to be desired. I fitted a pipercross induction kit and although it sounds brilliant under full throttle, it still doesn't really go anywhere. I found once you hit around 4k rpm the engine doesn't want to know.....especially on hills. I installed the bluefin superchip today! Cost me £206 delivery included........what can I say, it's a completely different car to drive now! The reported gains on the Bluefin site are 33bhp and 33nm torque increase although some boys claim to have produced 127bhp on the rollers! I would hazard a guess that mine is around 125-130bhp at max power due to the cold air intake.
First of all, bluefin is the easiest thing to install, literally took 5 mins! I noticed instantly the sound difference when revving, it is deeper and the exhaust rasps more........always a good thing! When driving normally you can notice the throttle response increase and more torque lower down, still very smooth to drive. Once you get off the city streets and you can get the foot down it really does come to life! Before the chip, i had to change around 5k. Now once you hit 4k the car pulls hard right up to just over 6k, gear change and you're on the power band again :D. Can't rate it high enough :).
Next post will hopefully be reviewing the Janspeed manifold.....Dear Santa... lol

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.