MINI Cooper Forum banner

Very hard suspension

25K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  eRNO 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 clubman S. The suspension is rock hard. I have run flat tyres. Can anything be done to soften it? Shock absorbers? Different tyres?
All suggestions welcome!
Thanks
Tom

#2 ·
I just asked this as well, I think this forum isnt as busy as it once was. Yes runflats are appaling for ride quality, its like driving on concrete. Normal tyres should help, weirdly I think I have normal front and runflats on the back, which is bad too.

Also wheel size, smaller be better. Overall though its not a car that is smooth on the roads. I just asked if 16s be any better than 17s, I guess they will be but not by much. Best thing you can do is replace runflats.

#3 ·
I just got an '09 MCS and the suspension is the same on mine too but tbh I like it that way. It's part of the character of the Mini S I suppose :)

solidsponge is right though if you want to reduce the firmness, non-runflat tires (and/or smaller alloys) would help. Might be worth checking the pressure of your tires first too...

You could also change the dampers and springs to something higher and softer I suppose but I wouldn't bother with it unless you desperately want to keep the mini and cannot live with it as is. If you cannot live it with it, why not swap the car to something more comfortable?

#5 ·
The 'perfect storm' for ride comfort seems to be the combination of the sports suspension option*, 17" wheels and runflat tyres.

I think it's the sport suspension that has the most effect of the three and that's the bit that's a fortune to change.

* My suspicion is that lots of buyers say "Oh, I'm sporty, so I had better have the sports suspension", little realising the implication for ride comfort.

#7 ·
Replace the runflats, they give a hard ride and don't do well in independant tests for handing/grip either. Koni FSD's improve the ride and handling if you can afford them.

#10 ·
I always find the ride on my R50 Cooper a bit of the firm side and not the most comfortable but it has R53 alloys on with low profile tyres ( not run flats ) im guessing if i didnt have the R53 alloys the originals would be a bit more of a comfortable ride ( i dont have yet see for sale a few times )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.