MINI Cooper Forum banner

Sprint Booster

93K views 197 replies 63 participants last post by  NearDooWhaler 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

(New member so bare with me.....)

Just bought a Sprint Booster and fitted it to my '03 Cooper 'S'............ AMAZING!

Totally transformed the way it drives. Feels like there is about 20% more torque available at low to medium revs. I know it doesn't actually add any more power to the engine but it just feels sooooo much more responsive to any throttle input.

:)

#36 ·
There has been no change in mileage for me. There’s nothing to fear from this device, it’s all fun, and I could imagine if you had a sport button and the SB it would be fun on top of fun.
My boss has just fitted a Sprint Booster to his BMW 330d and said his throttle response is insane now when he puts it in sport mode! Although on pull away it can be a bit too aggresive.

#35 ·
BMW only put the delay in to be nice to the engine, as having a 3 second delay will let in come in more slowly and less agressive on the engine itself.

Although BMW F1 team will have almost no delay as they are only after power, not driveability, reliability, things like that...

although i see MiniMania have cut the time taken by a 1/3 so still to maintain some sort of sanity when it comes to driving on the road :) £0.02

#38 ·
Finally got mine fitted today, after loads of hassle as my catch was snapped off. Big thanks to Leeroy who sorted it. I have to say I was a little dubious before I had it installed, but I have to say WOW!! what a difference, it's so much more responsive and you can really feel the torque running through, feels more like a turbo response that an S/c. So is it worth the money, well if you have had the norml mods done first then yes

#41 ·
"Just bought a Sprint Booster and fitted it to my '03 Cooper 'S'............ AMAZING!"

"I have to say I was a little dubious before I had it installed, but I have to say WOW!! what a difference, it's so much more responsive and you can really feel the torque "

If I put these quotes on the website , everyone would think marketing hype:(
They do however work! and do what they say they will do, the more customer feedback the better,please try to give an accurate description for other forum users .
I know it is difficult and WOW kinda sums it up!

#47 ·
If they are that good and easy to fit you should sell them with a "if you dont like it you can have your money back within 7 days" clause!

We do that with most of our products already,its tough with items like decals though,and if items are damaged/misfitted.
The purpose of feedback here is get a real impression of what it does,and how it feels,this prevents over/under expectations.
Perhaps it would be a good thing to take a few to a MINI event ,and allow people to try one ,say at a track day.
You might change your mind having tried one,and feel that it suits your car/driving style,

#48 ·
MINIMANIAUK

Can you offer a discounted price for MINI2 members. It can be bought else where for £159.99 inc. postage.

I am looking to order this, this week and would prefer to use a MINI2 sponsor.:smile:

#49 ·
you should pm vedors if you can get a deal, every one has to make a living :bad:
or rather would you have known, of the features and benifits of this, unless posted here?

the time and effort costs somthing, ie there is no such thing as free advice in the long run,

#52 ·
If it was e.bay i wouldn't have mentioned it, but in fact it is 'Sprint Boosters' own site quoting, so surely this is retail price:confused:

#53 ·
Apart from the obvious question of whether this is worth while or not, I have one question.

Captint seems to like this on his GTT240. But will I benefit as much having it on my lightly modded Cooper? Or is it like most other mods where the benefit is proportionate to the bhp of the car? Just a thought.

I may be interested if a good group buy price could be thrashed out, and I could somehow get to prove the benefits to myself.

#57 ·
Apart from the obvious question of whether this is worth while or not, I have one question.

Captint seems to like this on his GTT240. But will I benefit as much having it on my lightly modded Cooper? Or is it like most other mods where the benefit is proportionate to the bhp of the car? Just a thought.

I may be interested if a good group buy price could be thrashed out, and I could somehow get to prove the benefits to myself.
I had an E46 M3 before, which ha a sports throttle button, bear in mind that was Normally asprated like a cooper, the effect of the sport button on that was purely a sharper bite, which was very noticable. With my Cooper S, it seems to give me access to more torque as well as a sharper bite, this may be because it is supercharged. This is about as helpful as I get!!

#56 ·
^^^^LOL

To be honest guys the 3 pounds that you were paying over really is a nothing compared to the support that you get from Adam. I would gladly pay that three extra pounds just to keep him around. ;)
:confused: When i looked it was £165 with no way of finding what the shipping cost was. If i saw wrong at £165 and if the postage is free, then i agree.

I'm all in for supporting vendors of this site, but we all look for value for money:smile:

#65 ·
Ive had a sprint booster for about 2 weeks now, this is on a 53 plate cooper.

MY verdict? Well its the most noticable 'boost' todate (8.5/10), with alta panel filter coming second (7.5/10), and worst value bluefin (5.5/10), although happy with all 3 purchases.

The sprint booster, well my first thoughts it was almost like having another first gear in second :)

Very responsive, but easy to get used to its sometimes savage response. Makes higher gears if the revs are 3500+ nice and torquey with plenty of instant reaction. 5th gear has nice pull at 70+. One thing the booster appears to do apart from making things a bit more responsive, it makes the distance you have to press to get open throttle a lot less, not sure if thats a good thing, almost a cheat to make the car feel to have faster accelleration, when it doesnt.

I would recommend to anyone, but at your own risk, its a fiarly new thing on the market so its not tried and tested, is that a fiar evaluation, or would you consider it completely safe on the car?!

#66 ·
Finally got around to fitting this to my R56MCS tonight.

Bad news, as it doesn't work with the stop / start 08 model year cars it seems. It fails to start and puts up the engine check light symbol.

Take it off and after 3 starts the CEL is gone. Does this need clearing properly ( in the ECU memory ) ?

Back it goes:rolleyes:

#70 ·
All i'm interested in is 'gaining' the throttle response of sport mode ( r56 ) while retaining the non sport steering feel / response.

I'll let you know once i fit the replacement:smile:

#73 ·
Well, it worked:D

It is sooooo nice to have a proper throttle response again.:smile:

Not too edgy and not hard at all to manuever at low speeds. Infact there is still just that little bit of play, more so than the OEM Sport button mode, but then after that........wayayyy:D

Sport mode isn't much more sensitive, so still driveable but oh so much sharper.

All in all, a great buy and 2 mins to remove and put in the next car ( all bmw's ) or sell on.......bonus later:smile:

#74 ·
OK ,another positive report ! -so far only R53 and R56 cooper s :confused: its not quite the same as wearing bigger boots is it ?:)
So far all the reports from customers have been positive ,none returned,no faults,-japper is the only one I have heard of with a problem and none from any we have sent out .
They have been fitted on both remapped and stock ecus and both cases with positive results.
I have no idea why the ONE /COOPER owners are slow to take up the boosters?

#75 ·
I have no idea why the ONE /COOPER owners are slow to take up the boosters?
Because if we had more disposable income, we might all be driving the Cooper S? :p

I like the sound of it, but I'll be getting an ECU Remap done as a priority over the Sprint Booster Throttle Remap. The budget doesn't stretch to having both done in the near future. :eek:

All the best,
Andrew.​

#79 ·
Hi Adam, has it been tried on an R56 Cooper (non S) yet ? Sport vs non Sport button on Cooper is barely noticeable except for the steering weight (blind test with co-driver operating the switch, swapped drivers, repeat)

the ECU tuners are still struggling to remap MY car ...

£170 inc P&P for this vs £299 fitted for the mapping means I'd still prefer the full ECU remap - gives improved throttle response, more available power / torque, better economy (if you drive sensibly)

am in the expensive 'resistor' camp :p

fly to Taiwan on June 13th so can't make the Lakes but sure would be gud if you cud take some to that & see what peeps think ...

#78 ·
Ahh I'm an r56 mini one owner does that mean I get a discount as a guinea pig lol :).

So it sounds like you would get less of a difference with a lower powered car then do you agree?
And assuming you drive the same with the SB on what sort of difference does it make to your mpg?
P.s I'm really interested as it seems this is the only performancce upgrade out there for the r56 mini one without customised upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.