MINI Cooper Forum banner

Sprint Booster

93K views 197 replies 63 participants last post by  NearDooWhaler 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

(New member so bare with me.....)

Just bought a Sprint Booster and fitted it to my '03 Cooper 'S'............ AMAZING!

Totally transformed the way it drives. Feels like there is about 20% more torque available at low to medium revs. I know it doesn't actually add any more power to the engine but it just feels sooooo much more responsive to any throttle input.

:)

#82 ·
I'm really interested in getting this for my car,my only reservation is what haapens when/if the car goes back to Mini for servicing or warranty work would the ECU show up fault codes do you think? I've never worried so much about a car!! Want to mod things but so worried about voiding my warranty. If i never had one I would be bankrupt by now without a doubt the amount of times it's been back (i.e cold start issues, complete replacement of timimng gear to name but a few and its rattling again :().....still love the car tho!!;)

Den

#83 ·
I'm really interested in getting this for my car,my only reservation is what haapens when/if the car goes back to Mini for servicing or warranty work would the ECU show up fault codes do you think? I've never worried so much about a car!! Want to mod things but so worried about voiding my warranty. If i never had one I would be bankrupt by now without a doubt the amount of times it's been back (i.e cold start issues, complete replacement of timimng gear to name but a few and its rattling again :().....still love the car tho!!;)

Den
It's a 5 min job to take off, but not sure about the ECU logging it's presence at all. Anybody have this fitted and access to scangauge?.

#84 ·
Just waiting for mine to arrive and having it fitted at dealers so will ask them if it shows on their equipment. Well out of warranty now and they have fitted all my mods.

#87 · (Edited)
Need some help please.

I not have sprint booster, Ive been trying to get the pedal off for the last hour. I can get it to move a little but then stops? I realise this may be the double catch thing, but how on earth do you get it all the way?

What tool did you use? Ive tried with a small penknive and a medium flat screw driver but just cant get it past. Any ideas?

Sorry, following the minimania instructions: SPRINT BOOSTER THROTTLE REMAP MODULE INSTALL R50/52/53 - MiniMania.com

#88 ·
Ive been trying to get the pedal off for the last hour. I can get it to move a little but then stops? I realise this may be the double catch thing, but how on earth do you get it all the way?

What tool did you use? Ive tried with a small penknive and a medium flat screw driver but just cant get it past. Any ideas?
The DIY says ...

Press down the retaining tab (1) and remove the pedal from the adaptor plate by sliding it to the left.

Detach the plug connector (2).​

#91 ·
I used a brake shoe adjusting tool which has flat blades on both ends, but one end is at a right angle, this allows the longer shaft to lay relatively flat without a handle in the way. The shaft can extend the blade inside to release the latch from the back without binding against the channel. If the pedal housing is cocked it may not allow linear lateral movement.

#92 ·
Got mine installed earlier today, got it done at dealers so as not to have any worries as the dude above seems to have, plus mine came minus any instructions. Luckily I had read the how to on here and told the dude what was required, im completely useless at this type of thing so wasnt even going to try myself.

The difference this has made to the car is outstanding! i have a heavily modified 03 JCW and this mod had me giggling like a kid all the way home from the dealers. At one stage i was running a 3%CP with JCW SC pulley but didnt like the way the car drove with it, so switched to 17%SC pulley and stock CP.

This mod gives me far superior pick up than what the lightened CP did. As has been said before it doesnt give you more power, just makes it available alot earlier in the rev range, same as a lightweight CP.

Without a doubt a must have mod. The service manager at the dealers was also very impressed and said he would recommend it to those who complained about throttle response. It was also undetecatable to the service computers.

#94 ·
I find this quite interesting, when i mash the pedal in my 'S the boost gauge rockets up at the same time, there's no delay.

Adam am i right in presuming this tricks the stepper motor into banging open the throttle butterfly exacerbating the problem the 'S has of going lean when you first go WOT

#95 ·
The throttle plate is opened faster not further so boost comes up faster not more. The injector reaction is far quicker than any throttle speed and on throttle opening the sense line pre charger adds fuel -so running lean should not happen.
I sense that some of the early scepticism is reducing -they do work!! and becoming a "must have mod"

#96 ·
Had another go this morning with a smaller screw driver (the one that came with the mini car jack actually) And came off straight away! :D
Plug and play! Great Stuff! took 2mins.
Start it up and WOW. Throttle response is immediate.
Power there straight away instead of having to rev it all the way up. Yes i doesnt give more power, its just there sooner. Couldnt stop laughing and grinning all the time i was driving, so much fun.
Even in 5th gear at 70+ when you push the thottle, it just blows you away!
Well worth the money!

Oh and i have an 06 Reg R50 Cooper! :D

#97 ·
from pre fitment .......
"Yeah your right. Price is a little high for what it is.

I think ill not be investing in 1 until they a little cheaper."

to post fitment .....
"Couldnt stop laughing and grinning all the time i was driving, so much fun.
Well worth the money! "

;)

#99 ·
from pre fitment .......
"Yeah your right. Price is a little high for what it is.

I think ill not be investing in 1 until they a little cheaper."

to post fitment .....
"Couldnt stop laughing and grinning all the time i was driving, so much fun.
Well worth the money! "

;)
lol touche :p

#100 ·
almost embarrassed to bring this up, but has anyone done b4 and after 0-60 0r 30-70 etc ;)
on private road etc, etc, with proper timing equipment etc, etc, :D

Via a satellite live link to the atomic clock and taking into account the curvature of the earth - it was faster !!!!
OAT =20
air pressure 1022mb
wind =1 kt
alt 200 asl
driver -fat
18" wheels
:D

#103 ·
How much faster tho?

I have to say, 0-60 in the car now does seem to come up alot quicker than before.
I have no doubt that it improves throttle response in the same way a good custom remap will but I can't see it improving performance like 0-60 etc seems a bit like some of that 80's marketing hype that got me as a kid because I've not long returned from a diplomatic trip to the Congo and I can testify that at no point did I see anyone drinking Um Bongo!

#105 ·
0-60 probably minimal difference ,however ,as more gearchanges required it would be faster as the throttle responds faster it cant be anything other than faster, also remaps dont all increase the throttle response.
It is a change that the driver can feel and a positive change ,some items only produce more noise!
your testing of cold air intakes a case in point -there is a reason for most intake systems not actually working

#107 ·
No matter how fast you press the pedal the throttle will only open at the speed it is told to from the pedal and ecu -this is the signal that is altered to be faster - some cars ecu operate differently and the speed is variable depending on demand signal so there would be a diminishing benefit with full throttle inputs on these cars

#110 ·
So are you saying this device can make the throttle body open faster? or does it just make the throttle pedal to ecu signal faster?

After reading this thread I went out and spent my own cash on one..........

Despite the nurmerious fault codes on intial startup it did change the pedal responce, to what I would consider on my car to be dangerous!

The first part of my morning drive would be down 300yds of gravel in second gear, tickover is too slow and just touching the throttle resulted in digging big holes in the drive.

Maybe they are best left for non modified S models!

#108 ·
Very interested in this product!
I've already installed a Bluefin to the Mini ONE, so will be interested in what improvement the Sprint Booster will make to the throttle response.

Will this mean I'll be the first ONE owner on this site to buy a Sprint Booster??!! :)

#109 · (Edited)
when lohen fitted their sprint booster to my car (originally had one from minimaniauk which didn't work when fitted by lohen so lohen fitted one of theirs) which has a remap,cylinder head,enlarged injectors,jcw airbox,gp intercooler and 19% pulley they (andrey & gang) found the car wasn't really driveable. they felt there was an element of "overkill".
my impression? - well, as my car had the exedy clutch fitted at the same time, the car felt like a "rottweiler straining at the leash" - the combination of snappier clutch engagement and snappier throttle response. i thought it was wicked. it's one of those things you could remove for daily driving and fit if you were doing a track day. i'm now used to the exedy, so i'm thinking about trialing the sprint booster daily now and seeing what happens....if you have a car with a reasonable amount of power and remap, the sprint booster will make a difference, some will find it liveable some won't. an aftermarket clutch/lightened flywheel will also make a difference within this context as you blip the throttle a bit more to keep the revs up with a lightened flywheel, and with a sprint booster onboard, this can be fun!

#113 ·
Wow, digging holes in the drive? I found it took about one drive to get used to it.

I installed one on a buddy's car and all I can say is wow. His car has a 15% and CAI. The difference pulling away from dead stop was much better then stock. The other noticeable difference was how easy it was to access the power band. Every time I read "just move the seat forward" and it does the same thing I laugh. IT'S NOT THE SAME AT ALL.

Longboard

#114 ·
Knowing a little about electronics, All this device can do is alter the signal that the pedal sends to the ecu, nothing else.

It will just alter how much you have to push the right foot. A bit like taking the slack out of an old style throttle cable.

TBH I find the minis throttle to aggresive anyway for finding the fine line of limit on the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.