MINI Cooper Forum banner

Sprint Booster

93K views 197 replies 63 participants last post by  NearDooWhaler 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

(New member so bare with me.....)

Just bought a Sprint Booster and fitted it to my '03 Cooper 'S'............ AMAZING!

Totally transformed the way it drives. Feels like there is about 20% more torque available at low to medium revs. I know it doesn't actually add any more power to the engine but it just feels sooooo much more responsive to any throttle input.

:)

#157 ·
Fitted the Sprint Booster throttle remap module two weeks ago. Certainly a must have, great fun, if a bit expensive for what you get in the box !

When fitted, it compresses the full effective throttle pedal movement to about the first 50% of travel - making engine response much much quicker, and improving driveability.

If your wearing big boots it could make throttle control a little difficult !

Fortunatley at very low revs the system operates close to stock, so reversing etc is fine.
Superb on my Blufin equiped Cooper.

Expect your mpg to go down the pan while your having fun and getting used to it.. :p

#163 ·
Hi all,
After a good half hour of sifting through this thread (lol) this is something I'm seriously considering as I want that little bit more from my Cooper, but fully aware that new throttle bodies etc are just not worth the buck. Just want to clear up a couple of issues I have and hopefully get purchasing.
I have an R50 (i believe, I'm new so go easy, lol) 02 plate Cooper, is this Sprint Booster going to fit ok for my car? Also for someone who has done car modifications before but nothing majorly realted to performance, how easy is this 'really' to fit?? I really am a novice on performance modifications, lol. Any advice would be great
Cheers
Jak

#164 ·
hi Jak.

Yes this will fit your cooper with no problems.

It is really easy to install, just slide the throttle pedel off, undo the current connection and connect the sprint booster to the original cable and the to the pedel, put the pedel back on and that's it done.

The hardest bit I found was getting the pedel off for the very first time as there is a double catch but once you've done that once it's easy every time. Should take you no more than 5 mins. :D

#166 ·
no it doesn't replace the existing cable but connects to it where the original connected to your pedle. The other end of the sprint booster then connects to the pedle.

It shouldn't affect any eml lights or turn any other lights on. All it's doing when connected is altering the signal to the ecu telling it how far and how quickly to open the throttle.

Trust me, get one of these and you won't stop smiling. :D
It also works if you have a bluefin remap.

#167 ·
Just got mine fitted (thanks to xr3i_alloys) and will be taking it for a spin on the way home from work, canny wait. Should I be concerned that when I fitted it that the little secure tab broke away?? The peddle still locks in ok and I have got the little bit that snapped to one side. Worth super glueing and leaving over night to dry, to keep the peddle locked in??

#170 ·
I thought it worthwhile bringing this quote over from the other thread on the Sprint Booster:

I have just had the Sprint Booster fitted. It has made the cars performance so much smoother. The throttle response is so much smoother and quicker. The throttle is so smooth, that maintaining constant speeds is so much easier. e.g. with female passengers or keeping on the speed limit.

(I don't know whether this is an unknown bonus or not, but the cruise control appears to be more efficient. It may just be my imagination!)

Keith :cool:
All the best,
Andrew.

#172 ·
I thought i'd give one a bash..I brought it from cks performance for £147.50 including postage so wernt too expensive. It arrived the next day as promised and fitted it to my highly modified MCS and i cant believe how it has transformed the way it drives. Power is there straight away.

Does take a few starts to get used to.. Especially with a Lightened Flywheel & Paddle Clutch but thats the fun of it...lol ;)

#174 ·
The GP will be the same as every other Mini it is fitted to. It makes throttle response crisp and allows the throttle to open quicker thus resulting in no Drive-By-Wire lag. It will do this to any car its fitted to. Trust me they are good, not so much on the R56 in my opinion, i took it off after one trip as i thought it was a bit to raw for my liking but the R53's love them.

#176 ·
They are well worth it. Im not sure about paying £150 for one but if you can pick one up a bit cheaper then its worth it.

Reactions: big pete
#178 ·
Fitted it today and fantastic difference in throttle response , only problem is after taking it out on an enthuiastic run when I stopped I smelt burning rubber!! Im running a 17% pulley just wondering now if its enough to give some belt slip. Hope not coz it feels damn quick.

#179 ·
seems like a decent product.anything that can give a faster throttle response is a good advantage,just like a light weight crank pulley.

a lightened crank pulley made a huge differance on the drag strip,so why not give a SB a shot...but i'm on the prowel for a second hand one...:)

#180 · (Edited)
Got a new one today and responds really well at about 75% throttle decompression the throttle is totally open, need to get used to changing gear again...

Update: ended up getting rid of it after two weeks. When you are trying to cruise and hold your foot in one place. The signal very slightly pulses. I thoguht it was just the unit that I had so I got it changed but the replacement one did it too. When you're driving in traffic its really annoying. I'm wondering if the new MK2 version of the switch has solved this with its 3 different settings?!

#188 ·
Fitted the sprint booster at the weekend. It certainly makes the car feel more lively. It has 3 settings off, green and red mode. Green mode is not really a massive difference to be honest but red is. The car just feels more eager and ready to respond quicker. When you switch it off it actually feels a bit sluggish!

Fitting was easy. Just depress the retaining clip on the left hand side of the pedal and slide the whole unit off. Attach the cable and slide the pedal back into place. Takes about 5-10 mins.

However, I did get the engine management light on afterwards. But it was just a case of disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to clear it.

Found a great place to mount the controller too. On my mini there was a blanking switch plate to the right hand side of the steering wheel in the lower panel. I drilled out the bottom of the blanking plate to allow for the cable to tuck in and super glued the controller to the blanking plate and re-inserted it. The controller is almost exactly the same size as the blanking plate so it looks almost factory fitted and you cant see any cable. Its in a good location for use too.

If you share a the car with someone else its good to able to turn it off too. My girlfriend prefers it off. People say that it takes time to get used to but having only had my mini for a few weeks I just found that it made it more normal. To me the mini fly-by-wire throttle has a serious delay in standard form.

I would say that the sprint controller is a good mod but it is fairly expensive i suppose. If you compare it to getting a rechip or a bluefin then obviously you can get better bang for your buck. Am guessing it would work pretty well in conjuction with a rechip. Thats what I am doing next.... Damn, I think i am catching the bug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.