MINI Cooper Forum banner

Exhaust central resonator delete on r53!!

30K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience with resonator delete on a r53 JCW.

I want to look into getting rid of mine, is it an easy job? I have heard that certain aged cars have clamp on resonators? Mine is 54 plate.

Can you buy a delete kit, i.e just a piece of pipe to replace the resonator, or is this something that needs to be custom fabricated?

Does anyone have experience of a JCW catback, resonator delete and maybe an aftermarket header? Is it mega loud, or does it sound amazing?

Hope someone can help, thanks.

#5 ·
I got mine done at the local exhaust shop, cut it out and welded a bit of straight pipe in. I also run X force headers. I often have other MINI owners the car sounds amazing when I fly past them.

#11 ·
I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S Sidewalk. Im looking into deleting the resonator but keeping the muffler and rerouting the exhaust, im probably performing the surgery next week at my friend Ian's shop Eurofixx in Cincinnati. Any tips? This will be my first mod to the car due to it being in possession of my parents for the awhile, but any tips on other upgrades recommended or needed for the one-ball mod? Thanks

#12 ·
Hi ya guys been reading your posts

Just fitted my JCW exhaust to my 04 r53 mcs I decided to do the deletion of centre resonator I used the standard exhaust forward setion trimmed to to the right length and fitted the JCW rear part of the system looks good fits good and still 100% mini and all the supports in the right places
Sounds good to the only thing is the forward section is a little scabby with surface rust but it's wire bushes off ok :)

#13 ·
Hi there, forgive my ignorance i am not at all technical when it comes to cars. I have an 2007 mini cooper s with the factory JCW upgrade (192 Bhp). I am looking to remove the resonator. What does the resonator look like? Is there a difference between a resonator and a silencer? Does the resonator change position depending on the model year? Help would be appreciated.

#14 ·
This is in the 1st gen section and the above discussion has been for the r53. You have a 2nd gen car (R56) so not exactly applicable to yours.

However, having removed the centre res on my R56 S a while back, I would recommend that you do not do it. The res stopped drone and boom and when removed mine sounded terrible - it lasted a week before I swapped back to stock (eventually went for fJCW rear silencer with DP).

If you want more noise then look to change the downpipe/cat but IMO don't touch that res! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.