LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Mini Cooper 2002 - Simple Tuning Tips Please!!!

Hi all,
Recently bought a standard cooper 2002, petrol, and am just wondering the best simple tuning parts to start with? things like performace ht leads etc? and where would be best to look/purchase?
any help would be great!
thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Check your spark plugs - the MINI service schedule has them in place way too long (I noticed a significant difference when I changed mine at 50k miles - the tips had eroded to the porcelain insulators, I'm surprised they sparked at all). Next a K&N panel filter and then a free-er flowing exhaust (I haven't bothered with this as I don't want my Cooper to sound too chavvy). Finally, get your car set up on a rolling road by someone who can tune ECUs (don't bother with BlueFin for a Cooper as the gains aren't really worth it - you only really gain by using it on a MINI One). Also, leads and ignition coils won't make much difference. If you want more than 125-130bhp then go trade it in for a Cooper S!

Where to get plugs, K&N and exhaust? I use E-Bay and then look with Google to see if I can find it cheaper in a shop.

Enjoy your new Cooper. I bought my 05 Cooper just over a year ago and I still love it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:31 AM

United Kingdom Male

Not really a tuning mod but make sure you get your gearbox oil changed if it has never been done before (BMW don't change it ever!) ............gearbox life will be extended and you will get a smoother gear change as a bonus.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2012, 09:45 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:31 AM

United Kingdom

In my testing we have never made any extra power by upgrading plugs,coilpacks and leads, You will however loose power if these items are broken or defective.
We change plugs on our pulley packages for safety with great results.

A cooper is kinda hard to tune up and its very a tough task trying to make more power with out loosing power from somewhere else.

As for bolt on's, a exhaust manifold and cat back may help alittle.

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.