Performance cams - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Engine & Drivetrain Tuning > First Generation MINI Tuning

First Generation MINI Tuning
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Tuning the first generation MINI 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance / tuning parts centre Essex, London, Kent ? Ellies Mini General Discussion 0 May 22nd, 2013 09:01 AM
Performance loss and noise??? Scary_Morris First Generation MINI Tuning 14 May 14th, 2013 08:04 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 02:40 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:37 AM
United Kingdom
Performance cams

Hi Ya all,
Just done a search for performance cams for a cooper s. I'm thinking of it as my next mod. All the search results seem to be quite old (5-6years ago). Has the market moved on at all? Got any new profiles that might be worth a look? I'd be looking a a good road cam, not race or track day and to work with a standard head.
Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 08:37 AM
United Kingdom Male View Blusox's Laser Blue & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Blusox's Classified Ads
I got a camshaft from kent cams years ago for my first MCS never got around to fitting it though so couldn't advise on any gains I'm afraid. If you want to try it then let me know and I'll lend it to you
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 04:27 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Thanks Any idea what spec it is/model number?
Can't say Kent got much of a mension in the old reviews I read, but I know they used to be a big name in performance cams.
How much would you want to sell it for?
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male View Blusox's Laser Blue & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Blusox's Classified Ads
It's their MINI01 version. Stated as being for the cooper engine but I was told at the time that it was good for the S too as it uses the same camshaft. Might want to check that though. I'll PM you with a price.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 03:42 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male
I'm looking to buy a fast road cam but want to find out peoples opinions on what they have had and what they think about different brands? Also what kind of supporting mods would be involved with an uprated cam?
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

I take it if you guys that are thinking of cams, you have done All the normal mods
Ie : Modded air boxes or cold air intakes, SC pulleys (if you have an MCS), exhaust manifold and cat back or modded exhaust, fuel injectors, plugs and coil pack and wires, reworked bypass valve (MCS). All this can be done with out remapping but to get the full potential from the injectors they will need to be coded using bmw software which is available. The mini DME will self adjust and will learn to a degree

There are a few good cams around on the market depending what you want from them. Low down and mid range or balls out to the redline and not much under 4000, most things are a compromise.
one thing to think about is some of the cams will require a remap when you install the cam to get the maximum potential from them or even get them to run right.
Putting a cam in to standard non modified head I would say is a waist of money for the gain.
Money that could be spend on ether brakes or suspension or even a remap depending how strong your engine is.

To unlock the full potential of a cam I would suggest a good gas flowed head, with standard valves or bigger depending on your requirements and budget a flowed and matched intake manifold and get the exhaust manifold matched to the head. But if you get a head gas flowed ask what cam they would match to the head work this is where the mine field and the BS starts

From what I have been told A good drop in cam is a crower NS1 with the cam timing set up properly this will work ok with out a remap. With a head and intake manifold You can get good power this way.

But as I say to unlock it full potential you would really need a remap

If your going for a head, intake, cam and remap (FA53) I would say NS2, mega mini cam if you can get one or the one 1320 have developed with cat cams, these are all good.

Sorry for yapping on but it takes a lot of thought and do not rush in and waist your hard earned money

Here are some links that may help

http://www.1320.co.uk

http://www.lohen.co.uk/home.html

http://www.thumperheads.com

http://www.vecchio.co.uk

Hope this helps
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM
JCW 250

United Kingdom Male View Keano's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Keano's Classified Ads
Cat cam is one of the most recent new cams for the R53 - 1320 can sort you out there.

Schreick (or however you spell it ) is good for top end.

Newman good for mid range.

Cat cam seems to be able to do both!

I had a newman with a tune and picked up around 20hp but the driveability improvement was more important than peak figures. The cat cam basically manages to do what the newman does but more of it all - does cost more than the newman though.

Agree with the above that its probably a good idea to fit the cam as part of a wider array of matching mods to make the most of it. What mods do you already have fitted?

Running 211whp

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:49 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Got the normal mods done, apart from injectors, but I am aware they would need changing for any more mods. Would a cam really be a waste without head work and port matching? I don't really want to get that far into the engine and all the extra expense! I know it would be better in an ideal world but not for now.
I don't want a race cam, fast road would do it.
Keano, did you have all the port work done?
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:51 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Perhaps the guys at 1320 would know how their cat cam performs in a standard trim head. I could see what they say.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 10:45 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

I would say the crower ns1 would work ok with a standard head and standard map, If you don't want to go full out on the engine work and remaps
I dont know what mods you have but if your running CAI, SC pulley, bigger injectors, plugs, better ic and manifold.
It will give you a gain, how much thats hard to say it depends how heathy you engine is and the product you all ready have fitted, same with every engine mod

1320, lohan are very good they will be able to help you

What mods do you have we may be able to give advice on other option to get power :-)

Hope this is of some help happy cam hunting
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 08:46 AM
JCW 250

United Kingdom Male View Keano's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Keano's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by Scary_Morris (original)
Got the normal mods done, apart from injectors, but I am aware they would need changing for any more mods. Would a cam really be a waste without head work and port matching? I don't really want to get that far into the engine and all the extra expense! I know it would be better in an ideal world but not for now.
I don't want a race cam, fast road would do it.
Keano, did you have all the port work done?

What mods do you have?

What are your goals? (fast road? track?)

A cam is worth while definitely, but I was just meaning that if you were going further with your tuning (ie towards BVH say) then doing it as a job lot would be best and that tuning for a cam is recommended so to save getting it mapped and then have to map it again once further mods were done, I was suggesting to do it all at once

ie map and cam is best done as the last engine mod rather than first before then adding a pulley / manifold etc. Make sense?

My car had a JCW head so some exhaust port work over the S head.

You will get good gains from fitting a cam - its the next best mod in terms of kick in the pants after the pulley

Yes Im pretty sure 1320 will have that info - they've got a huge database of cars they've tuned for comparisons sake (mine will be on there in various guises). Worth giving your tuner of preference a call to discuss your needs or feel free to post up more info on your goals and people will be able to provide recommendations based on their experiences eg fast road only I would aim to improve the mid range to make it punchy / give it grunt (newman/cat cam) whereas if you are on track the focus would be to keep temps down and improve the top end more (schrick)...

Running 211whp

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 08:51 AM
JCW 250

Quote: Originally Posted by marque (original)
Hi ya

I would say the crower ns1 would work ok with a standard head and standard map, If you don't want to go full out on the engine work and remaps
I dont know what mods you have but if your running CAI, SC pulley, bigger injectors, plugs, better ic and manifold.
It will give you a gain, how much thats hard to say it depends how heathy you engine is and the product you all ready have fitted, same with every engine mod

1320, lohan are very good they will be able to help you

What mods do you have we may be able to give advice on other option to get power :-)

Hope this is of some help happy cam hunting

The NS1 is like a 'soft' newman so lfit and duration is on the softer side so lesser gains but not too aggressive so depending on goals may be a good shout.

Personally, if I was going to the expense of changing the cam I would want more than that. I would also want to tune for the cam to optimise it (fitting the newman without a tune on mine gave a ~30bhp gain but it was then tuned to make it 'safer' back down to around a 20bhp gain) and to ensure its safe - I wouldn't get the NS1 myself as I would want more power

The NS2 is similar to the newman.

Running 211whp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement