MINI Cooper Forum banner

15% or 17% supercharger pulley

19K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  marque 
#1 ·
i have a stock r53, but i want it to wake up just a little bit more. i want to put a upgrade pulley on it. what is the difference between the 15% and 17% i also plan on doing the full exhaust and k&n filter kit. can i run a upgrade sc pulley safe without an ecu ref lash? i would need more fuel if i have more boost.

#2 ·
Hi ya

It's a good plan my advice is
Pulley, plugs, intercooler and air box all at the same time.
There is no need for a remap just reset the ECM (engine control module) after doing any mods.
The ECM is adaptive so it will learn the differences, but a remap will give you a bit more power but is not totally necessary at this stage. You can do quite a lot with out a remap it's only when you start getting into BVH, bigger injectors and some cams that you need a remap.

#4 ·
15% is on the limit whether you do or don't. but if you live in a country with high OAT it is worth it if your going to be driving it hard. Or you will end up with detonation and trash your engine also recovery time is very important on these as you know cooling is critical.
Pointless fitting a pulley and not getting the max from it, anyway £200 you can pick up a secondhand GRS intercooler money well spent IMO better cooling of the charge air plus smother and better throttle response.

Best IC's out there are for the r52s and r53 are the mini GP set up, GRS Motorsport version and the airtec and if your going for more the GRS front mount

#6 ·
Hi ya

17% is ok to run on a stock bottom end as long as it's heathy.
you can run with a smaller pulley but you will be spinning the supercharger beyond what it optimum rpm is this can be counter productive.

Don't get me wrong it is possible but you have to throw alot of money at it if you want it to stay in one bit.

Remember also the smaller the pulley the less contact area you have on the pulley and the tighter the radius, so the chance of belt slip goes up as well which will cost you power.
it really depends on what you driving habits are and what you using you car for
Ie daily driver or weekend and track

#10 ·
Hi ya

Two ways to reset the ECM

Disconnect the battery
neg first the positive you can ether leave it disconnected for 20 to 30 min or use the bmw software in dis if you have it. If not is £25-£30 well spent on ebay
The ECM is adaptive and will learn bad habits so doing a reset on it now and again is not a bad thing.
It is advisable when you do any mods the ECM takes about one and a half to two takes of fuel to learn your habits

Hope this help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.