MINI Cooper Forum banner

Janspeed Manifold question (R53 JCW)

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  marque 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Quick question: I have an R53 JCW (210) with the JCW exhaust. If I fit a Janspeed manifold can I use the existing cat and JCW exhaust system or would other modifications be required?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Hi ya

When you remove the manifold you will be removing the cat,
You have two options

1) cut the cat off your manifold and make what they call a tom cat (1320 mini) or buy a second hand manifold from ebay make a tom cat
2) run a decat pipe.

The box on in the center of the jcw exhaust cat back is a resonator not a cat ( just Incase you was unshore if you know this sorry )

If I remember 1320 done a lot of testing and the minis don't really like running with out the cat and lost power, plus it's a pain for MOT.

http://www.1320.co.uk/the-tom-cat-for-janspeed-manifolds

Hope this helps

#3 ·
Thanks Marque (also for your reoply re. tyres). I'd heard about Mini's running better with a cat so will take your advice and avoid the decat route. I'd be happy to sacrifice my old manifold, could a decent exhaust place manufacture a tomcat i.e. is it just a chop and weld job, or is it more involved than that?

Thanks again.

#4 ·
Hi ya

A good exhaust fab place will be able to modify it but just check they can first.
but you will have to fit the manifold first and make it to fit ie correct lengths and flange angle so it's a perfect fit as mini to mini they very a little.
you will need a flange for the cat to manifold joint but it's an easy job a good exhaust place should have these.

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.